Chapter 21

Chapter 21

"I talked to your security—"

"Ever heard of the word privacy?" mabilis kong pagputol sa sasabihin ni Mama.

I'd been at the hospital for a few days now. Although I knew that my doctor shouldn't be disclosing my condition to anyone but me, I knew that my family had ways to get what they want.

"I cannot believe that husband of yours," she said while shaking her head. "Didn't even bother to show his face here."

Hindi ako nakapagsalita.

It had been nearly a week and I hadn't heard anything from Archie. I tried texting him once. I got response. That was the response. I refused to message him again. We'd talk once I get home. He couldn't avoid me forever if that was his plan.

"Are you okay?"

"I am," I replied.

"Nadia—"

"I'm okay," I said once again.

Nakatingin lang siya sa akin. I didn't want to explain myself nor my marriage. It's my business.

"Are you sure—"

"I am," I said, cutting her off. "I never asked you questions about your marriage. I would appreciate the same from you."

I saw the surprise and disappointment on her face. She pursed her lips and her jaw clenched a bit. Umayos siya ng tayo at inabot iyong bag niya na nasa upuan.

"You really are a de Marco," she told me.

Hindi ako nagsalita. I did not want to argue with her. I never liked arguing with my parents. It's exhausting and not productive at all, but she would not leave me alone. She kept on asking kung nasaan si Archie. Obviously, he's not here. And since he's not here, obviously, we're having problems. I didn't understand her desire to keep on asking me. If I wanted to discuss it, I would do it. The fact that I repeatedly dodged her question should be answer enough.

Nang makaalis siya ay saka ako umalis. Thankfully, there's a private exit for VIP. Doon ako dumaan. I didn't need media taking photos of me. This was not the image I wanted to be seen by the public—not now that we're running for senate. Now's not the time to look like we're not on good terms. Now's the time to have a united front.

When I got home, I immediately felt Archie's presence. I just knew that he wasn't here because if he's here, I feel it. I'd hear him constant pacing back and forth. I'd hear him trying to cook in the kitchen. I'd hear him surfing the channels to find something interesting to watch.

He's just everywhere when he's at home.

And now, this place felt so empty.

All because that girl decided she wanted someone who's already married.

I stayed in. I didn't want to go to work. The last thing I needed would be a public argument with Archie. I had no energy for that. The way he's been avoiding me, I knew that this was an argument waiting to happen.

It was already 11PM nang makarinig ako ng pagbukas ng pinto. The whole place was quiet that I probably hear even the drop of a needle.

Agad akong tumayo.

"Did you have dinner already?" I asked, not wanting to start an argument. He's obviously mad at me. We'd discuss that. We didn't need to argue to communicate.

"Yes," he replied shortly.

"I haven't yet," I said. "Will you eat with me?"

Tumingin siya sa akin.