Chapter 35

Chapter 35

"You can go," I told Tanya. She looked at me hesitantly. I motioned for her to leave. She gave me an awkward smile before she finally left the office.

I was always the last one in the office. I just wanted to make sure that everything's in order. Besides, it wasn't as if I was excited to go home. Pagdating ko sa bahay, as much as I wanted to pretend that the baby didn't exist, I could just feel him... existing.

So, the next best thing was for me to stay in the office. I was well-aware that there were gossip about me and Archibald being on the verge of separation since I was always at the office. But whatever gossip was quashed because as soon as daytime hit, Archibald and I were back to our usual grind—pretending to be a happy, little family.

At around 11PM, I finally decided to call it a day. I was very productive today. I finally decided on which agendas to push in the senate. It wasn't a mere decision of yes or no—for every vote, there's a ripple effect. Also, it's politics. It's never just about the common good. There's always an angle there somewhere.

"Did you put a tracker on me?" I asked when I saw Jack approaching me. He was wearing his usual grin.

Humalakhak siya. "If only I could, but your security's hard to bypass." Kumunot ang noo ko sa kanya. "I was kidding," he said. "Knowing where you are 24/7 is boring."

I didn't even invite him, but he took the empty seat next to me. I was in some bar. I just wanted a nightcap. Wala namang umaabala sa akin sa bahay, pero hindi ako makapagpahinga nang maayos doon. I always needed a drink or two—sometimes none, but that's when I was extremely tired.

"Have you seen the surveys?" he asked.

"Of course," I replied.

"Nice work."

"Thank you," I said.

I was quite proud of my work. Archibald's performing very well. His trust rating is very high. He votes yes to the agendas I told him to vote yes to. He follows the talking points I give him when there's an 'ambush' interview. He's basically doing everything I asked of him—granted that I leave him and his little spawn alone.

"Nice touch on the family picture."

"Are you just here to admire me?" I asked and he laughed again. I might have to start charging him because it seemed like he's making me his own personal entertainment.

"Sure..." he replied. "But also, I'm very curious about something."

"Can't you just google it?"

"Why don't you just run yourself?" bigla niyang tanong.

"What?"

He turned from his seat so he was facing me. His right arm resting on the bar and his fist against his cheek. "I mean... you're doing everything. He's literally just a mouthpiece."

I pressed my lips. "That's the question that's been bogging your little mind?"

Muli siyang humalakhak. I was starting to think that he might have a kink—he liked it a little too much whenever I'd insult him.

"Yes," he replied. "So, satiate my curiosity, Nadia de Marco."

I rolled my eyes. He ordered me another drink. Good.

"Don't you think I didn't consider that?"

"Did you?"

"Yes."

"And why did you decide against it?" he asked.

I took a sip of my drink. Of course I've thought about that. Growing up, I'd always wondered why it was Abuelo who was the president and not Abuela. We all knew that it was Abuela who made the final decision. Abuelo's just... he's just there.