Chapter 22

Chapter 22

I had never hated silence.

Growing up, I had always enjoyed silence—my little moments of solitude. I was always around people. People were always around me. Kaya naman kapag nagkakaroon ako ng pagkakataon na magkaroon ng katahimikan, I always try to maximize it. Ang hirap din na palaging may mga mata na nakatingin sa 'yo.

But this?

This was hell.

Archie and I ate breakfast together, but at this point, I'd rather that we didn't eat together. I hated having him in front of me and him not saying anything.

And I wanted to say something, anything, but pride's all I got left. I refuse to beg. This was what he wanted. He asked for this, so even if it's killing me to be like this, I would never waive the white flag.

He got his things and then he started to walk outside, pero bigla siyang huminto. He turned and then looked at me. I stared back at him. I would not start the conversation.

"What?" he asked.

"What?" I asked back.

"Let's go," he replied.

"You can go," I said.

I saw him slightly rolling his eyes. "It's been a week," he said. "People are talking."

"Let them talk," I replied.

"You're fucking weird," he told me.

I reached for my cup of coffee. "It's barely 8AM," I said. "Don't start with me now."

Nakatingin siya sa akin. "You're the one who kept on putting politics before marriage. And now what? You suddenly just don't care if people think that we're having problems?" tanong niya habang nakakunot ang noo.

I looked back at him.

Right.

Ayoko lang pumunta sa munisipyo dahil hanggang ngayon ay pinaguusapan pa rin nila iyong pagpunta ko sa hospital. A lot of rumors about that one, but nothing was ever confirmed. Even my family's asking about it, but I shut down any form of communication. Pretty sure they know about it already. I just didn't have the energy to talk about it nor did I want to talk about it.

"I thought we're not talking about our marriage anymore?" sabi ko sa kanya. "Besides, I won't go to the office. I have a meeting with some of the donors," I told him. "I'll have Cheryl contact your secretary," dugtong ko dahil ayokong sabihin iyong pangalan ng babaeng 'yon.

He gave me a small nod. "Right."

"If the meeting goes well, we can start preparing for the filing," I told him.

It was still a bit awkward to talk to him. I was not a fan of this, but he's right. I needed to straighten up my priorities. Besides, I was the one who told him that if things do not work between us, he's free to pursue a separate life of his own.

But God...

Not Rosie.

Literally anyone but her.

"File for what?"

"That'll depend on the support we'll get," I said. "I'll finalize the details first and then I'll keep you updated."

"Okay," he said. "Is that all?" he asked.

"What?"

"Sa meeting ka lang ba pupunta?"

"Meetings," I corrected him. "I have a lot of people I need to talk to," I continued.