Chapter 01

Chapter 01

"Is there a contest or something?" Aspen asked upon seeing me. It was Sunday and Sunday means brunch. I was dressed to the nines. I'd always been a firm believer that whatever shit life throws at me, at the very least, I'm well-dressed.

"What?" I asked although alam ko naman kung ano ang ibig niyang sabihin.

"About who will give Abuela that heart attack that finally will kill her?"

"Aspen," I said, holding my laughter.

"Don't be jealous if I can say it out loud."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever," sagot ko. "Are they all inside?"

"Yeah. Already discussing the newspaper articles."

I shrugged as he threw the cigarette on the ground at sinamahan ako na maglakad papasok. Even from afar ay rinig na rinig ko na iyong mga boses niya. I wasn't sure, but I heard someone question if I was having a mental breakdown because why on earth would I associate myself with the Gallegos after the scandal that their family went through?

What could I say? I like challenges.

"Ready?" Aspen asked as we were few steps away from the dining area.

"Born ready, my dear," I replied as I gently tapped his cheek.

Pagdating namin doon ay mabilis silang natahimik na akala mo ay hindi nila pinag-uusapan ako at kung nasisiraan na ba ako ng bait. I was sure I heard a suggestion of sending me to one of those resorts. I scoffed internally. Archie would lose his shit kapag nalaman niya na ganito ang reaksyon ng pamilya ko–not after him being sure that I specifically chose him because of who he was.

"Nadia."

Lahat sila ay napa-tingin sa akin nang banggitin ni Abuela ang pangalan ko.

"Yes, La?" I replied politely. I would never lose my shit–at least not in public. I like the fact that the public thinks that I was someone who's level headed and always in control... But I just like playing my part and I'm a pretty vindictive person.

And I always want to be the one to control the narrative.

"You and that boy Gallego," she calmly said, but we all knew better.

"Archie, you mean?"

Her face was neutral as she reached for that cup of tea. "Archie," she repeated with that split-second look of disdain on her face. I held my smile. Ganyan din ang itsura ni Archibald nang tawagin ko siyang Archie. But if we'd sell that we're getting married, I needed to call him Archie because Archibald's a mouthful and I refused to call him Arch like his friends.

"Yes, La. We've been dating for quite a while. Archie's nice–you'll like him," dugtong ko pa. Napapailing na lang ang mga matatanda sa akin habang nagpipigil ng tawa ang mga pinsan ko. Well, I was glad to be a source of entertainment for these people.

My mom looked like she was begging to quit talking, but she's the one who harassed me into finding a potential husband. I was doing fine on my own–running my own business and keeping my private life private. Sila ang nagsimula ng topic na pagpapakasal ko.

"Invite him next Sunday, then."

"He'll love it," naka-ngiting sagot ko. I knew this game–I wasn't the first person to date someone they do not approve. They'll invite you and be polite to you while subtly making you feel like you don't belong. They're–we're–all masters of making people feel like they could not get in the club.

I didn't know exactly why... probably because a lot of shit has happened and is still happening in this family and there's just too much dirt under the surface. You can never really be one of us unless you've been there right from the beginning.