Chapter 32

Chapter 32

I had made quite a spectacle, if I may say so myself.

In the middle of a busy campaign, I faked fainted. It was caught on camera. It was shown in the evening news. It was on the papers. It was trending on social media.

Everyone was asking.

Why?

What happened?

Was she okay?

Everything was planned, of course. Times like this, every little detail is crucial. Everything needed to be pre-approved, be controlled. I did as much as I could—although admittedly, I just could not throw money at everything like Abby does. I'll forever hate that a little... but at least, this forced me to be creative.

As Abuela told me—I am a problem solver.

I mean... I kind of had to. I was surrounded by adults with questionable judgment. Even Addie had to mature faster because she was surrounded with adults who seemingly needed constant guidance—or judgment, take your pick.

"Smile," I told Archibald while we were posing for pictures that will be posted on his social media account. This picture will be used in all the news outlets and all vloggers and bloggers we hired, so of course this had to look perfect.

Thankfully, he finally smiled.

The photographer made us do different poses, but I told him that I was going for more of a natural and candid approach. We're more casual and laidback people—at least that's the image I was projecting in public. They didn't have to know how high-strung I really am.

"I need the photos tonight," I told Cheryl. "Send me five to choose from," I continued.

The election day's really fast approaching. We needed to confirm the pregnancy as soon as possible to really milk this. Filipinos are big on family. I didn't care if this baby will be the center of the campaign. As far as I care, it's all about name retention. Kahit na baby ang pagusapan nila, as long as nababanggit ang pangalan ni Archibald Gallego, everything will be fine. Because most people don't really give a thought on who they're voting—they're just shading whose name looks familiar to them. Kaya nga maraming nanalo na artista. Because it's all about familiarity. Because why would they vote for some name they don't know anything about?

After the shoot, we were on our way to the clinic to make one of Rosie's dreams come through. We needed to do this today because we're leaving for Mindanao tomorrow and we'll be gone for four days to do some campaign. It's gonna be pretty hectic, but it's fine. My family's friends with the mayors of most cities there. They'll surely take care of me.

"Kailangan ba talaga na nandon ka?" Archibald asked. I thought he lost his tongue. He's been awfully quiet for quite a while.

"Yes," I replied.

He apparently lost his tongue again.

"The clinic is closed and what if someone sees you coming into the clinic alone? And what if someone also sees that girl?" tanong ko sa kanya. "We're too far, too deep in this election, Gallego. Just do your part."

Tumingin siya sa akin. "Do you think people will believe that we're in a happy marriage if you keep on calling me Gallego?"

I looked at him with a serious expression. "I will never call you Gallego in public. I always keep appearances," I told him. "I'd always done my part—it's you who keep on slipping."

He remained silent until we pulled over in the parking lot. I let the security check the area first. Naiwan kaming dalawa ni Archibald. The only thing that was saving us from the deafening silence was the sound of the engine.