Chapter 39

Chapter 39

I was standing in front of my board and staring at it. I stayed up all night to finish this one—I'd been up for a few days, if I were being honest. I knew that Archibald wanted to call me obsessive, but I didn't care. I had wanted this for as long as I can remember. I couldn't even remember a time when I didn't want the presidency.

It's like this... forbidden candy.

The more that people tell me I couldn't have it, the more that I wanted it.

Before, it was just the people around me.

Now, it's even Abby—a sadistic parasite who forced her way into my family.

It's not just a dream anymore—now, it's personal.

"What?" I replied when I heard the opening of the door.

"Breakfast," he said. Napatingin siya sa board. "Di ka pa natutulog?"

I shook my head. "I'll take a nap after breakfast," I told him.

"Okay... pero aalis din tayo mamayang 10AM."

"I know."

"You can skip."

"No," I told him. "No skipping of meetings; no lagging behind," I continued.

"I know but—"

"No buts," I reminded him. He was the one who promised me that he would do anything I wanted. I'd been good on my end. I'd been nice to Atticus—much to my detriment because that kid loves me for some reason.

"Okay," he said, conceding. He stared at the board. "You really planned all of this."

"Yes. All you have to do is follow."

Archibald looked at me. "I will," he replied. "Can I say something?"

"Sure."

"Do you have a solid plan? Because Maven is still Maven."

"And I am Nadia," I said.

"Abby is crazy."

"She is," I replied.

"She managed to get Maven in the congress despite all the issues in the past."

"And I managed to get you in the Senate despite your father and your last name being associated to kidnapping, raping, and murdering a girl," I said, which obviously hit a nerve with him.

"It's not the same," he replied.

"Yes, it's not the same," I told him. "Abby's the cousin of a drug lord. Some lives were ruined because drugs are 'bad.' Big deal. But you on the other hand? Your father kidnapped, raped, and murdered a girl and all the gory details were paraded in the news and in the paper. Trust me—your reputation was way worse."

I struck some more nerve and it wasn't even 7AM. Because why would he ask me something like that and risk ruining his day? Archibald's his own worst enemy.

"The Filipinos don't want a smartass like Maven," I told him. "The only ones who will vote for him are the progressive ones and they are outnumbered. Heavily," I continued.

I already laid the ground work. While he was busy playing with his kid, I was busy securing the cooperation of the mayors of various cities. I mean, sure Abby might have the money and her little threats to throw but I'd been in this game longer. I had a whole fucking mansion worth of blackmail material enough to make those mayor shake in their boots.

I walked towards him and patted the imaginary dust on his shoulders. "So just do as I say and we'll have a President Gallego," I told him before I went outside to have some much needed breakfast.