Chapter 37

Chapter 37

"I'll change my surname."

Archibald looked at me, confused.

"And I scheduled a session for us."

It was before 7AM.

I wasn't able to sleep the whole night. My mind kept on repeating what Abby told me—that she never really saw me as a competition. What a bitch.

She might be Maven's leash holder, but she'll never be family. She might consider us as family, but we will never see her as family. We're just collectively frightened because she's insane.

"What?" Archibald asked while he was sitting down on his bed. Nagiwas ako ng tingin. He wasn't wearing a shirt. I wanted to ask him where he gets the time to work out? I barely had time for yoga.

"Take a shower first," I told him. "We'll have breakfast in the garden."

I left Archibald confused. Pumunta ako sa kusina. I told the chef to prepare breakfast for us, but I told her that I'll be the one making the coffee. I knew how to make Archibald's coffee. For years, I was the one who did that.

Everything was perfect between us. I mean, it wasn't the fairytale kind of life, but it was perfect for us. He was happy. I was on the right track. Everything was well.

Until it wasn't.

But now, my mind's all cleared up.

I knew what I wanted.

And what I had to do to get what I wanted.

"Hindi ka papasok?" Archibald asked because I was not dressed for work. I was wearing one of my casual dress. If we were alone in this house, I'd be wearing my nightgown. It's a beautiful day.

Umiling ako. "No," I replied as he took his seat. "I was thinking that I'll be spending today with Atticus," I said. "Don't worry—I will not do anything to harm him," I quickly added before his mind went there. Not that I couldn't blame him. I wasn't nice to the kid. Oftentimes, I still refer to him as it. Hard habit to break.

"Is this for PR?" he asked.

"No."

"Then why?"

"Why not?" I asked back. "He's my son."

Hindi siya nagsalita.

"My name's on his birth certificate, Archibald," I told him.

"Not my son," he said. "I told you—I will do anything you want."

Bahagya akong natawa. "Why are you acting like I will sell your child for pennies?"

"Because I know you will if you have to."

Umirap ako sa kanya. "You're being overdramatic," I told him. "I just want to 'bond' with the baby. His nanny will stay with us. He'll be fine."

"Saan kayo pupunta?"

I shrugged. "I scheduled a playdate with the other kids," I said. He remained silent. "My cousins won't be mean to a literal child, Archibald. Calm down."

"Masisisi mo ba ako?"

"No."

"Why are you doing this, Nadia? Why now?"

I left his question hanging. I grabbed my cup and sipped my coffee. Tumingin ako sa kanya. I thought about it. Abby's right. The reason why she's able to do everything that she wanted to do was because Maven would let her and he'd do anything to support her.