Chapter 11

Chapter 11

I'd dated some people in my life, but almost all of the reason why those relationship ended was apparently because I wasn't 'caring' enough. Or that I was cold. Or that they felt like I never really did give a shit about them. Granted that I didn't love any of those men, it was still annoying to be dumped. Of course I would never tell a single soul about that.

There wasn't really any reason to try to pretend that I care... Most of them I just dated for appearance' sake. Iyong iba, nagustuhan ko naman kahit papaano... Just not enough for me to really develop feelings for them.

But now with Archie? I knew I should've practiced with those guys before. Ngayon tuloy ay para akong teenager na nag-aaral kung paano maging 'sweet' dahil alam ko na ganoon ang hinahanap ni Archie kahit hindi niya pa sabihin sa akin.

"What?" I asked Nicole, my secretary, nang mapansin ko na nabasa niya iyong nasa screen ng laptop ko.

Quickly, she shook her head. "Nothing."

Sumandal ako sa swivel chair ko. "This is such a headache," I told myself as I closed my eyes. I was nowhere near done with my tasks for the day, yet mas inuuna ko pa 'to. And I was a bit ashamed that I still had to 'research' about this. And now, nakita pa ng assistant ko. She must think na nababaliw na ako.

"Nicole," I called her.

"Yes, Ma'am?" she replied immediately.

When she first started to work for me, she was a bit scared of me. She didn't have to tell me dahil napansin ko naman. But I wasn't mean—I just didn't like mistakes. I wanted things done a certain way. And once she got the hang of it, mas naging relaxed na siya sa akin. Still, she knew that work is work. But on the other hand, I knew that I could talk to her. She always signed an NDA. She knew that whatever I tell her is for her ears only.

"You're married, right?"

She nodded. "Yes, Ma'am. Kayo pa nga nagbayad nung honeymoon ko," she replied.

"Right..." I said. "How did you make your husband fall for you?"

Kumunot ang noo niya. "Ano po, Ma'am?"

I didn't want to explain my situation with Archie to her, but I guessed that this was for the better. Ayoko naman na pati sa assistant ko ay magpapanggap ako. Besides, this is what NDA is for.

When you have to pretend in front of the world, the last thing you'd want is to pretend with the people close to you.

"Like the dating thing."

"Ah..." she said, still looking confused. "Sa inyo po ni Sir Archibald?"

I shrugged. "Yeah."

Based on the reaction on her face, she wanted to ask me questions, but also knowing me, she knew that some things are better left unasked.

"Uh... ano po, sweet saka lalambingin niyo minsan."

"Like how? Can you give concrete example?"

It had felt like a lifetime since I last dated. I felt like I was learning how to ride a bike and I needed the training wheels.

Instead of doing work, nandon kami ni Nicole at sinabi niya sa akin iyong mga ginawa niya para mainlove sa kanya iyong asawa niya. I mean, I was already half-way there. Archie's already in love with me... I just needed to play the part well. Because based on how Archie's acting so far, he'd resent me if I don't have the same feelings that he has.

And I didn't know if I wanted to fall for him.

So far, based on the people around me, they really didn't make falling in love look like fun.