Chapter 05

Chapter 05

I was in the middle of choosing which clothes I'll bring with me to Tagaytay when I received a call. That was strange.

"What's up?" Addie said as she answered the call.

"I'm being summoned."

"By Abuela?"

"Yes. Who else can summon me?"

I wouldn't say that I'm a bitch because that sounds so horrible. Ewan ko. I just have that 'vibes,' I guess. I mean, kahit si Archie ay minsan sinasabihan ako na psychopath. Why? Just because I'm not warm and cuddly? Please.

"Because of your boy toy?" Addie asked.

"He's not my boy toy."

"I'm sorry. Because of your latest project?"

I rolled my eyes. "He's not."

I heard her laughing. "Oh, please. You can be honest with me."

"He's really not my latest project," I answered because Archie's my only project. This is a long game. I intend to invest a lot in him kaya una pa lang ay sinabi ko na sa kanya iyong mga expectations ko. I just wanted to lay all my cards on the table para alam niya. At para na rin wala akong maririnig in the future na niloko ko siya o kung anuman because if any, I had been nothing but honest with him.

"Sure..." she said. Kahit wala siya sa harap ko ay naiimagine ko na iyong marahan na pagtango ng ulo niya.

"We're actually going to the Tagaytay rest house this weekend," I said.

"Why?"

"To bond."

"To bond?" she asked with such shudder in her voice.

"Yes, to bond with my future husband, Addie," I said and explained to her that it's better this way. If possible, I wanted Archie to be one of those guys who would do anything for the woman that they love. It's possible. I'd seen it. I mean, at the top of my head, I could give my cousins as prime examples.

"Do whatever you want," Addie said.

"That's what I want to hear."

"But why do you think you're being summoned?"

"No idea as to why exactly, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Archie."

"She's not a fan."

"Obviously."

"You saw how she died a little when you brought him over."

I chuckled. "I know. I wanted to frame that exact moment and display it over my living room," I said as I made my final turn bago ako nakarating sa destinasyon ko. "I'm here."

"Good luck."

"Don't need it," I replied as I watched the gates being opened for me.

Of course I was told to meet Abuela at the office. That's where I almost exclusively talk with her—hindi kagaya ng ibang mga pinsan ko na nakakausap nila siya at times about random things. Ako? Not really. I think I was in high school when I formed the conclusion in my head that my Abuela hates me. She just treats me differently. I could feel it. Kahit pa sabihin nila Addie na nasa isip ko lang iyon, I knew that there's something different about the way she treats me. It made me so curious that I began to watch her every move every time I'd get the chance to. Kaya siguro alam ko na bawat galaw niya. She pushed me to be like this. The more she pushed me away, the more I got to know her. It's ironic.

"Good afternoon," I said after I knocked on the door and opened it.

"Good afternoon," she replied with that icy tone of hers na naririnig ko lang kapag kami ang magkausap. "Have a seat."