Chapter 19

UNEDITED

CHAPTER 19(r)

I pushed myself to run faster, the fur on my front and back legs coated with mud and leaves. It was pouring out, making it hard to see and even harder to run away.

I don't know how long I had been running for, hours? It felt like days.

It seemed like never long enough. I would finally be free, away from Caine. He didn't think I would actually leave, he should have known there was no way I was going to stay with him. Serves him right... god the last months were hell.

I was totally done with him. I left as soon as the night hunt went out. Caine, Alec, Ryan, James, and Carter all left with it. It had been my third attempt in the last week.

The first time I tried to leave, Caine appeared out of thin air in the weapons store. I was shocked to see him, considering he had barley left his bedroom for days. My face burned as I had to make up an excuse as to what I was doing. I told him that I was choosing a knife so I could slit his throat in his sleep and he just rolled his eyes and forced me to go to the dining hall with him. I was so nervous he would know that I was trying to leave that I just sat beside him at the dinner table and stared at me food. Every time he was distracted I refilled his drink until he was so drunk he could barely stand. I knew he wouldn't be able to stop himself. When he tried to call me out on my lies I made a big enough scene that both Alec and Ryan had to intervene, they eventually took him upstairs to his room and I was free to go. 

The second time one of the sirens went off just as I was about to go. Caine eyed me suspiciously when he realizes I was the first one in the weapons room but I just strapped on the usual gear and avoided eye contact as we left on the trucks. 

The next day I finally got my chance. It had been a quiet day and I knew that Caine would be on the final hunt of the night.   

I filled a backpack and slipped out. 

I reached civilization at sundown, and bought a ticket on the next bus. I couldn't get on any planes without an ID but if I made it close enough the border I could shift a just run across. 

~

" Are you hiring?" I asked the redhead at the counter of the convenience store. She chewed her gum loudly and looked me over critically.

"Nope," she replied and went back to reading her magazine. I sighed and made my way back into the main strip of the small mall.

I had been to seven different stores by now, and none of them were hiring or even considering hiring. I shuffled tiredly into the small pub and sat on the bar stool. I had been away from Caine for two days and I felt exhausted. I didn't want to do the rogue thing again, I was over it. I knew that if I lived as a wolf for the next months-years I would probably never recover as a functioning human. 

So I thought the best thing to do would be to try and survive as a regular person. Which meant that I needed a job and money. 

There were only a couple of other people at the pub... then again, it was only four o'clock. I sighed and flipped through my newspaper, looking for ads.

" Can I get you anything?" A rough voice said next to me. I glanced up. A burly looking man with a large beard tossed a dirty cloth over his shoulder and faced me.

"I'll have... a beer?" I replied quizzically, never actually having a human alcoholic beverage before, I wasn't sure what beer even tasted like.

He nodded and quickly filled a glass with golden liquid. " There you go missy, now drink up and be happy," he said, a large smile grinning from behind his beard. I tried to smile back and lifted the cup to my mouth for a drink.