✨Chapter 17✨

Sophie

Sophie didn't understand what was happening. Her head hurt, but she felt disconnected from her body, from the pain.

From the guilt

Her consciousness drifted in the dark, the light, the colorful, the bland.

Black was white.

Up was down.

There was no direction.

No sense of what was happening.

As she drifted, farther and farther away, cool, blue wisps of life reached out to her. They promised safety and warmth.

They promised guilt.

She shoved the wisps away, running farther and farther away, wrapping herself in layers of thorns, blocking the emotions, the promise of safety. She didn't want it. Didn't want to face what she'd done.

She wasn't Sophie Foster anymore. Sophie Foster was someone who was ignorant of the consequences. Sophie Foster wasn't a killer.

The voice in the back of her head warned her what could happen if she didn't fix this.

Broken, It told.

Killer!

GUILTY!

The word stabbed into her heart, her mind, everywhere. It swirled, growing bigger. Louder. More overwhelming.

But one bright, flash of emotion broke through the tempest.

Love.

The emotion pierced through her thorn-cocoon, drowning her feelings of anger, self-doubt, and guilt. The breezes gave her a new foundation to stand on. They instilled her with confidence, reassurance, and calmness.

Random memories flashed in front of her. People, places, moments that felt familiar, but it felt like she was watching someone else's memories.

Then one moment shifted to the front. Two people in a clearing surrounded by flower-covered vines. They were... kissing. She inspected the memory from every angle, trying to figure out who it was.

Then a name tumbled forward, backed with love and patience.

Sophie Foster.

All her memories came rushing back, flooding her with emotions, names, and information.

The cracks in her mind sealed with the newfound maturity that came with taking a life. Sophie now realized that she had to look it in the eyes, and own up to the responsibility.

A deep ache settled in her chest. One that she knew would never go away, but would strengthen her for the coming battles.

Sophie exhaled, closed her eyes, and fell into sleep.

❤️❤️❤️Hey guys! Sorry this chapter was short, and I haven't updated in a while. I'll try to update tomorrow with a longer chapter! ❤️❤️❤️