✨Chapter 13✨

Annabeth

Btw, I LOVE it when you guys comment, so don't be shy 😉

Annabeth knew that hellhounds could shadow travel, but she'd never experienced it, and she decided that she most definitely did not like it. Though, it was definitely better than Sophie's teleporting.

Mrs. O'Leary charged towards a tree, melting into the shadows. Sophie clung to her shoulders, and Annabeth shut her eyes. The darkness was cold and empty, like the void that Sophie used to teleport. Except the void didn't have the chills up your spine, and in the void you just floated in endless space. Shadow traveling went so fast, she could barely move.

The feeling lasted a second, then they emerged in the Underworld, in the Garden of Persophone. Sophie and Annabeth slipped off of Mrs. O'Leary's back, and the hellhound trotted over to a large tree to rest.

Sophie gazed around in wonder. "What is this place? It looks like something the elves would make." She reached to touch a tree trunk, made of amber.

"It's the Garden of Persophone. I'm glad Mrs. O'Leary got us in this far. Security is a nightmare. Grover told me that Nico was with Percy, so we should probably-"

"What are you guys doing here?" A voice behind Annabeth hissed in irritation. She turned, hand on her dagger hilt, then realized the voice was Nico.

"Thank the gods! Nico, Percy is missing and we really need your help. Do you know where he went?" Annabeth asked.

Nico tilted his head. "He said he was going back to the Camp. Besides, you probably shouldn't say his name. My dad is not in the best mood right now. Percy kinda escaped his prison, then killed most of his guard, so yeah."

Annabeth raised her eyebrows. "I'm assuming the River Styx worked then?"

Nico nodded. "But I don't understand, Percy should have been back to the Camp by now."

Annabeth could tell that this was a dead end. She sighed and said, "Thanks anyways Nico. You know, we could really use an army of dead soldiers. If you're not busy." She smiled a little at that last part.

Nico smiled back, but said, "I'm kinda grounded. If I can figure it out, I'll try to help you. But you should probably go before my dad comes back."

Annabeth nodded, then turned back to Mrs. O'Leary and Sophie, who had stayed back during the exchange. Sophie was staring past them, eyebrows furrowed.

"You good?" Annabeth worried.

Sophie's eyes widened for a second, realization dawning in them, then she blinked it away and smiled reassuringly.

"Yea, I'm fine. This place just gives me the creeps. Let's get back to camp." She turned, and jumped onto Mrs. O'Leary's back. Annabeth jumped on, and whispered in the hellhound's ear, "Camp Half-Blood." Mrs. O'Leary bound towards a dark crevice, and they melted into the shadows.

They came out of the shadows at the edge of the forest. A few campers at the nearby basketball court jumped, then saw Annabeth and relaxed. She'd realized that when you were the most senior camper, no one questioned your decisions, most of the time.

Sophie slid off the hellhound's back and groaned. I think shadow travel is worse than teleporting. How does it work anyways? Do you just tell her where to go, then she goes there? Or does it have to be somewhere she's already been?"

Annabeth jumped off and started walking towards the Big House, while Mrs. O'Leary bounded towards the arena. "I'm pretty sure she doesn't have to have been there previously. But I disagree. Teleporting is way worse. At least Mrs. O'Leary doesn't make us fall to our deaths."

Sophie rolled her eyes. "No one's died. Besides, I prefer to run, but there wasn't space in the forest."

Annabeth shrugged. "How do you elves get around, if not everyone has Teleportation?"

"We have a bunch of cities and residences scattered around the globe, and we use this thing called light leaping to get around. It's kinda complicated, but basically, we have special crystals that create beams of light, then when we step into the light, our bodies break down into light and we ride it to our destination." Sophie answered.

Annabeth tilted her head curiously. "Like TV waves?"

"I suppose. I actually think that elvish technology helped humans create TV." Sophie said. They walked past the Ares cabin, the campers jeering and shouting insults and threats, but not at Sophie and Annabeth. A golden chariot pulled by a pair of pegasi flew around the roof of the Ares cabin.

"What's going on over there?" Sophie asked, pointing.

Annabeth thought for a moment. "I think it was a joint raid a few weeks ago. Apollo and Ares campers raided a monster camp and got the chariot. The Apollo cabin claimed it, since they got to it first, but the Ares cabin wants it, because they lead the raid. They're just being petty." She waved it off. They would be over it in a day or two, or at least, they better be. With the threat of war hanging over their heads, the camp had grown much more solemn. The Hephaestus cabin spent most of their time in the forge and armory. The Apollo cabin held first aid classes. Ares cabin, usually, helped train new recruits. Athena spent most of their time in meetings, talking about battle strategy and numbers. Tonight was supposed to be the last Capture the Flag game until after the war.

Annabeth and Sophie reached the Big House, and they walked in. "Chiron! I- oh." Annabeth started, but stopped when she saw Grover and Chiron talking to an Iris message of Thalia.

Is it just me, but I would be so paranoid if Iris Messaging existed. I would be paranoid that they would call during a shower or smth. Anyways, back to the chappie 🫶

"Ah, Annabeth and Sophie." Chiron greeted the two and waved them closer. "Glad you two made it. Grover caught me up on everything that happened. Did you find Percy?"

Annabeth shook her head. "Dead end. Are you going to be able to help, Thalia?"

Thalia nodded. "We were heading up there anyways, so might as well be useful."

"If you will excuse me, I need to talk to Sophie for a moment." Chiron waved Sophie to follow him, and they retreated to a corner on the opposite side of the room.

Sophie's POV

"What is it?" Sophie asked Chiron.

"I think it would be beneficial if we informed Grover and Thalia about your... secret."

Sophie glanced over to the other group, chatting about missions and strategy. "If you think it's best." She walked back over to the group and said. "Thalia, Grover, there's something you should know."