Chapter Twenty Seven: An Heir of Beauty and Serenity

Jake felt bad for this phantom.

She probably had died because of General Rowan, and now here he was, bringing her back to him.

Tayler and Mitch didn't care, they were raised by two highly feared generals, and had been taught since birth that hybrids were dangerous and should not be allowed to live.

But he had been told by his dads that hybrids were just like you and me, they were simply given powers humans were not worthy of, which made a lot more sense then what everyone else seemed to think. Humans were destructive and power hungry and yes Jake was dissing his own race, but in his defence he wasn't wrong in saying that.

He hadn't felt as bad for General Rowan's son though. While he probably was a nice guy, he was still a former soldier, one of the units that was trained specifically to hunt demons.

Although maybe his thought had changed, and that was why he decided to quit the army.

But that was unlikely.

He had been raised by the one general all feared, and no one with some sort of intelligence would quit the army with a father like him for that reason.

I mean, he was kinda living proof of that fact.

He wasn't saying that both he and the son of General Rowan shared the same lives, it's just that if General Rowan's son had changed his mind on hybrids, he wouldn't leave the army for that reason. Just like how Jake pretended he hated hybrids so he could live.

While he missed his dads he knew that they'd want him to live. But he didn't know if they really wanted him to live a lie?

That was the one question that haunted him at night. That in living, he was making his fathers disappointed in him in the sense he wasn't being himself.

But in this world, you could never really be yourself.

At least not in Jake's case he couldn't.

Maybe other cities and towns were more accepting of people being who they were, but not where he lived. He lived in a war zone.

He didn't get to live in those big cities with towering buildings that rivalled mountains. He lived in a place that was often nicknamed 'The War District'.

Putting on a disguise was just normal for people like him.

The three continued to walk to General Rowan's house with the phantom girl still struggling to get free.

If Jake were anyone else, he probably would have helped her.

But he was a coward.

So he didn't.

A branch falling from off a tree made him jump, and he along with the others pulled out their swords out of instinct.

"It's just a branch guys" Tayler said after a minute, "nothing to get worked up over."

"But didn't you also pull out your sword?" Jake pointed out only getting a "shut up you fucking traitor" in response.

Mitch only shrugged at this, he didn't get involved in fights that Tayler started, and Jake knew that was because he'd rather just fight something then anything else.

Jake then sheaved his sword and rubbed his eyes. He was fucking exhausted, all this stalking, kidnapping, and fighting with his friends made him incredibly tired, and he couldn't wait to just go to sleep.

Tayler snickered at his exhaustion, but said nothing, she simply continued to drag the phantom across the dirt.

Jake imagined that it must hurt having your skin rub up against sticks and stones like that.