The Dark Forest

WC: 3,372

WC: 3,372

"Look at you, big man! Look at you!" Big John hugged Pope.

JJ ran and jumped on Big John's back. He laughed and tried to get JJ off.

"JJ, come on, come on."

Bella laughed out and shook her head. She looked over and saw John B's face. She walked up the steps and took the empty beer cans from him, "You ok?"

"Yeah, yeah, just still hard to believe ya know?"

Bella nods understanding.

"Yeah, yeah, so we, um... we went to the archive in Charleston, and, uh- it was- it was a dead end," John B says.

Bella furrows her brows, knowing he was lying, she glanced at Big John and nodded. She shared a look with JJ as she double-checked her pendant was underneath her shirt, hidden.

"A dry hole, so..." John B sighed.

Pope sighs, "So that's the gold, the cross, and now El Dorado. We're three-for-three guys." He scoffs, "The streak continues. That's great."

Kiara has to go, "See ya John B."

"I'm going fishing. Thanks for the beer," JJ stands up. He holds his hand out to Bella and she takes it standing too.

🪙

Sarah sighed and pulled up to Bella's house. She got off her bike and knocked on the door.

Sebastian shouted, "Just a sec!" He put the person he was on the phone with on hold and opened the door, "Hey! Sarah right?"

She nodded, "I'm sorry, is Bella home?"

"Ah, sorry kiddo, haven't seen her since she went to... what was his name, uh John B's house? They wanted to catch up with his dad. Is everything ok?"

She sighed, "Oh. Um ya ya, everythings ok. I just... do you know where she might be? She wasn't at John B's place."

"Mm, I can text her, but she might be out surfing even if it's a bit cold, may take her awhile to answer. Do you want to come in and wait for her?" Sebastian gave Sarah a smile. "I can show you her room, she won't mind I'm sure."

Sarah shook her head, "Oh no, thank you. I'll see if I can find her around."

"Hang on," Sebastian pulled a business card out from his pocket. He wrote a phone number on the back, "That's Bella's new number, and on the front is obviously mine. Maybe she'll pick up for you?"

Sarah took it, "Thank you."

"Course. If you need anything just shoot me a text."

Sarah waved, "Uh, thanks, Sebastian. I appreciate it."

🪙

JJ sighed, "I don't know Ella. I don't think it's a good idea."