Chapter 5 - Bad guys

Vanessa's POV

I collapsed onto the chair and burst out crying. I didn't know what to do, but I couldn't marry Jack. I didn't love him. Even spending a few minutes in his presence made me irritated. On the other hand, Rick.... I didn't want to lose him, but my father was capable of everything. He wouldn't hesitate to hurt Rick; my father was a ruthless man, and he didn't like when someone objected to his decisions.

I had to find some way to get rid of this stupid marriage. If I found something about Jack which could make my father give up on his idea, I could be with Rick without fear. And I knew who would help me with it. My father's former right-hand man, John. He saw me like his own daughter and acted kind towards me. So if I asked him to help me, he wouldn't refuse me.

***

I was sipping my Martini absently at Stardust while Rick was talking to his boss, Nathan Carter. I couldn't tell Rick about my father's plan. I still hoped to find something to convince my father that his idea was ridiculous. Fortunately, John accepted to help me; he never liked Wilsons.

"Amore mio, are you bored? Sorry, I had to talk to the boss." Rick gave me an apologetic look and grabbed my hand, bringing it to his lips.

"No, don't worry." I assured him, smiling lazily as he placed a soft kiss on my hand. "Is there problem with your boss?" I asked nervously, hoping my father didn't find out about me and Rick and start to give him trouble.

"It isn't about me. He has some problem which I can help. He is a good person. So I wanted to help him. We were talking about it," He replied, caressing my cheek affectionately.

"You are a good man," I commented softly, giving him a tender smile.

His expression instantly changed. He sighed, averting his gaze. "I don't think it is the most suitable word to describe me," Rick mumbled nonchalantly as sadness crossed his features.

I frowned, puzzled. "You are wrong, Rick. You have a good heart. You are ready to help everyone who is in trouble. My knight in shining armor. If you weren't a good person, you wouldn't bother at all," I stated firmly, cupping his cheeks, and placed a chaste kiss on his lips.

He smiled slightly without saying anything and pulled me into his arms. I hugged him back and kissed his cheek.

We pulled back quickly as we heard two men shouting. When they started fighting, Rick rushed towards them to separate them.

I was looking at Rick worriedly while he was trying to calm the drunken men down patiently. Suddenly, one of them tried to hit him to release his grip around his arm while cursing at him, but Rick caught him in time and tried to calm him down without losing his self-control despite the fact he looked frustrated. Then the security guards rushed towards them and dragged the men towards the exit.

Rick heaved a loud sigh, running his hand through his hair, and walked towards me.

"I am impressed by your self-control. How do you manage to keep your calm in this kind of situation?" I asked, amazed as my boyfriend approached me.

Rick sighed, running his hand through his hair. "Being hot-headed just causes problems, nothing more. I learnt it in a painful way," he mumbled, looking away gloomily. My Italian cleared his throat and forced a smile, cupping my cheek as he noticed I was staring at him quizzically. "Forget it. Will you meet up with me tomorrow?" he asked, stroking my cheek tenderly.

"Unfortunately no," I replied sadly. I couldn't leave the mansion every night. My father would get suspicious. "But I promise this Friday I will manage to meet up with you. Moreover..." I wrapped my arms around his neck, giving him a wicked grin. "I will stay the night in your place. Of course, if you don't have another plan."

"Nothing is more important than my beautiful goddess?! I look forward to spending time with you alone," he commented huskily, pressing me against his body by wrapping his arms around my waist, and brushed his lips against mine.

"I have to leave now," I informed my Italian sadly.

"Fine." He sighed, disappointed. "I have to continue working," Rick added and planted a soft kiss on my lips.

***

Once the maid informed me that my father wasn't home when I asked her if my father was in his office or not, I went to his office. Maybe, I would find something there to get rid of this marriage. Of course, if the door wasn't locked. I saw him hiding some files yesterday when I visited him in his office to ask a permission to stay the night in Jasmine's. I saw Jack bringing those files.

I checked the hallway if someone was here or not and walked into my father's office. Fortunately, he didn't lock the door. Probably he left in a hurry; otherwise, he wouldn't forget to lock the door.

As soon as I closed the door, I approached his desk while my heart was pounding. I opened one of the drawers, and looked through the files, but there was nothing related to Wilsons. Then I opened the next drawer, but there weren't anything which would help me about the arranged marriage either. I heaved a loud sigh in irritation as I couldn't find anything here.

When I wanted to open the last drawer of the desk, I heard my father and Jack's voices. I instantly rushed towards the bookshelf and pushed the button to open the secret door. There was a secret passage leading to the backyard garden; I found it when I was little and enjoyed to hide here from my nanny.

Once I closed the secret door, the main door opened and they walked into the office. I decided to listen to their conversation hoping to hear something important which I could use to get rid of this arranged marriage.

"We should get in contact with his brat. After all, he will be the Don after Antonio. Maybe he isn't in the same mind as his father," Jack commented hopefully.

"I don't think so. He is a real troublemaker, and no one knows where he is right now. Probably Antonio hid him to protect his brat. If Antonio also loses him, it will be the end of the Castellis," my father stated firmly.

"No, I think he would be eager to this agreement more than Domenico. Domenico wouldn't have gone behind his Dad, and he wasn't a risk taker. However, that daredevil wouldn't say no to our offer. Especially after what happened to Domenico," Jack commented devilishly. "By the way, I am curious why he hasn't gotten revenge."

"I heard he did. However, I don't know for sure. Both of them disappeared. So no one really knows what happened," he commented and breathed deeply. "Probably Antonio keeps his eyes on him. He wouldn't take a chance to lose him too. That brat is his only heir now," my father said nonchalantly.

"Probably." Jack sighed. "Then I will go now and try to find some way to convince Antonio," he added, annoyed.

"Yes, we have to find another way. We can't accept his conditions. He put those conditions because he knew we wouldn't accept them," my father commented, annoyed and heaved a loud sigh.

I frowned, ruffling my hair while trying to remember who Antonio Castelli was. It rang a bell, but I couldn't remember who he was. I heaved a sigh in irritation because I couldn't find anything to get rid of this annoying jerk and walked towards the garden as Jack left the office.

As soon as I reached my bedroom, I called John to ask if he found something about Wilsons which I could use against them. He informed me that he didn't find anything other than the things we knew.

"Do you know who Antonio Castelli is?" I asked curiously. "I heard my father talking about some contract, but Antonio is against it."

"Oh shit! He is the most powerful mafia in the world as well as ruthless. He never got along with Wilsons nor your father," he replied firmly. "He is worse now after losing his elder son. Domenico was different; a bright fearless young guy," he added sadly.

"It seems you liked him," I asked, intrigued, raising my eyebrow.

"We met once; he saved my life when Russian mafia attacked me and my men when we were discussion the details of the business your father and Antonio were going to do together, but later Antonio changed his mind about our agreement and found another business partner," he informed me.

I ruffled my hair, lost in my thoughts; these Castellis intrigued me.

Can he help me?

No, you have enough trouble, Nessa. No need for another one. Or?