Chapter 33 - The letter

Rick's POV

As soon as I came back from the meeting with my father, Mario told me that he had some important information for me.

Once we walked into my study room, he extended me a yellow envelope.

"What is it?" I asked, giving him a questioning look as I took the envelope.

"Vanessa's health records." I raised my eyebrows, puzzled and took the paper out of the envelope. "She attempted suicide after hearing the news about your death," Mario informed me while I was reading the records.

I opened and closed my mouth without managing to say anything, staring at the papers in daze.

"Umm... Today Luke called me. He finally managed to seduce the maid who worked in Jack's mansion to get information about what was going on inside of the mansion. The maid told him that Jack and Vanessa haven't stayed in the same room since they got married. She added that..." Mario paused, rubbing the back of his neck uneasily.

"What did she say?" I asked firmly, clenching my fist. I was sure that he would tell me something bad.

"Jack hit Vanessa badly after finding out about that night. Worse than we knew. After that, he locked her in her room and kept acting bad towards her."

I gritted my teeth in frustration and crumpled the paper in my hand.

"And probably the only reason he didn't do anything bad to the baby or force her to get abortion because Vanessa's father told him that he would give Jack his new luxurious hotel and forty percent shares of his company after his grandchild's birth as a gift," he informed me.

What?!

Fucking bastard!

I smashed everything off my desk furiously and kicked the chair angrily. Thinking what Vanessa bare in that house made me mad. I left her alone when she needed me. Moreover, even thinking that he could force Nessa to get abortion boiled my blood.

"Calm down, Rick." Mario rested his hand on my shoulder and squeezed it slightly.

"I want him dead," I stated firmly.

"We will discuss it later when you calm down. Now you have to do something about Vanessa. She did everything for you and went through hell."

"No one will touch her again. I won't leave Nessa and our son out of my sight for a second anymore." I promised, clenching my fist. "But why does she want go back?" I asked, confused and rubbed my forehead, thinking.

"Probably, she is afraid of him."

"When she is with me, no one can touch her. Doesn't she know it?" I said, frowning.

"Maybe he threatened her again." He gave me a knowing look.

"Here?" I asked, unconvinced.

He sighed and pulled something out of his pocket. "The maid found this letter in front of her room this morning. You have to see it," he said and extended the letter towards me.

I furrowed my eyebrows and grabbed the letter. I clenched my fist angrily and cursed in frustration as I read it.

As soon as I finished reading the letter, I stormed out and rushed upstairs. I had to talk to Vanessa. How could she hide from me that that bastard threatened her again?! Didn't she trust me that I could protect her and our baby?

Once I reached her room, I opened the door without knocking. My eyes widened in shock as I saw Nessa lying on the floor, unconscious in her room. I threw the letter to the floor as I rushed towards her and bent down beside her.