Chapter 9 - The secret guest

Vanessa's POV

"Jack knows about us. He had been coming to the nightclub the last two weeks. He provoked me, but I managed to control myself. I thought he was just some spoiled brat, but when I saw your photo together, I understood his intention," Rick informed me firmly.

"Shit!" I ruffled my hair, panicked. "I am sorry, Rick. I hope he didn't give you any trouble with your boss," I added, giving him an apologetic look.

"I handled it. Don't worry." He stroked my cheek tenderly. I nodded and hugged him tightly, resting my head against his chest, thinking what I could do to keep him safe and away from my father and Jack's ruthless behaviors.

***

When I found out Jack was waiting for my father in the living room, I went to talk to him. He had to give me an explanation why he leaked our photos.

"Why did you leak the information that we got engaged?" I asked him angrily, clenching my fist as soon as I walked into the living room.

"What a welcome! Can't you be more polite?" he said sarcastically and smirked.

"Cut the crap, Jack! I know it was you who leaked the photo and information,"  I stated angrily.

"I didn't do anything, honey. However, I don't find it necessary to hide our engagement. I am proud to be Vincent Campbell's son-in-law," he commented wickedly and gave me a devilish smirk. I gritted my teeth while trying to hold myself from strangling him. "I don't understand why you wanted to keep it a secret. Are you afraid that your bartender lover finds out that you are an engaged woman?" he added mockingly.

I stared at him without knowing what to say. I hoped he just thought I and Rick were interested in each other, not that we were dating, but after his confession, my last hope vanished. So he knew everything about us. Did he order to his men to follow me?

"Has the cat got your tongue? Did you really think I wouldn't find out that my fiancée fools around with some bastard?" he said sarcastically and gave me a death glare.

"Watch your language!" I warned him angrily.

Jack cupped my chin tightly. "Don't raise your voice at me, you little bitch! If you don't want your father to find out what his beloved daughter is doing behind our backs, behave," he threatened me and pushed me back onto the couch. Then he hovered over me, cupping my chin, and lifted my head up without releasing his grip as much as I wanted to pull away. "And if you think I will let you disgrace me, you are wrong." He gave me an intimidating look.

"Let go of me!" I snapped, trying to push him back.

"You little bitch!" he exclaimed between his gritted teeth and grabbed my arm tightly, making me wince in pain. "You..."

"Is he in the living room?"

Jack released me instantly as he heard my father's voice coming from the hallway and pulled back quickly.

"Oh. Vanessa, you are here too," my father commented, surprised as he walked into the living room. Then he turned his gaze from me to Jack. "Let's talk in my study room," he stated firmly and walked away without waiting for him to say anything.

Jack gave me a disgusting smirk and followed my father. I clenched my fist in frustration and cursed under my breath while fighting back my tears.

Rick's POV

I yawned, opening my eyes, and looked at Vanessa sleeping in my arms. We spent the night in Jasmine's apartment. Meanwhile, she was out of town.

I pulled my arm away carefully without waking her up and leaned against the bed. Then I grabbed my phone and bit my lower lip, staring at it, lost in my thoughts. Today was the birthday of a woman who was so precious to me. I hadn't seen her for a few years, and I missed her so much.