Chapter 32 - Downfall

Vanessa's POV

I bit my lower lip, thinking, and looked at the door as I was about to pass Rick's study room. I approached the door quietly and decided to listen o what they were talking about.

Antonio looked furious as he saw me with Rick. I had to know if he tried to do something bad to me or my baby. I was so nervous. I hoped Rick could manage to calm him down. 

"You slept with Angela. And I know you two have a daughter who you hide from your own family. I know you visit them secretly," Antonio stated angrily.

I felt numb all over my body as I heard what his father told Rick.

Is it true?

Who was Angela?

Suddenly, I heard Mario and Arturo's voices coming from far. I walked away from the study room, lost in my thoughts before they saw me eavesdropping.

Rick has a child... Is he still together with the mother of the child or not?

Did he started dating that woman after our breakup or he has already have a child when we were together?

Maybe he is still together with that woman, and he changed his attitude towards me to befuddle me that he still loves me because my state didn't affect the baby and I wouldn't try to run away again. Then when I give birth, he will take my son and kill me or give me back to Jack.

I pursed my lips together while tears ran down my cheeks and I leaned against the door for support as I felt slightly dizzy. I walked into my room in slow steps and closed the door behind me.

***

I was walking in the garden absently when suddenly, something flied over the tall brick fence. I covered my face reflexively, resting my hand on my baby bump protectively as I pulled away.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as I saw a stone wrapped with a paper near my feet. I bent down carefully and took the stone. I opened the paper carefully and started reading the letter. Fear twisted my gut, and a tight knot formed in my throat as I read it.

If you don't want me to finish what I started with your ex, don't try to get back together with him. You will be back soon. So don't get used to his presence.

If you tell him anything about this letter, I will destroy all your loved ones; and I will start from your lovely Sicilian and your bastard.

Don't think I won't find out what happens there. I have my ears everywhere.

Your husband.

I crumpled the letter in my hand in frustration while tears ran down my cheeks. I was tired of everything. I just wanted a simple life, but it seemed I couldn't get this wish anytime soon.

If Rick didn't find out that he was the father of my baby, I could ask him to help me to go somewhere Jack couldn't find me. However, now I was totally trapped. Rick wouldn't let me leave and take our baby with me. On the other hand, I couldn't stay here and put my loved ones' lives in danger. Besides, I wasn't sure Rick even wanted me or not.

I wiped my tears off my cheeks and hid the paper in my pocket quickly as soon as I heard Rick's voice coming behind me.

"Did you cry?" he asked, raising his eyebrow, and grabbed my chin while looking at my face attentively.

"No," I replied dryly and pulled away.

Rick looked at me, stunned. He cleared his throat and informed me warmly. "I bought chocolate gelato. Your favourite."

"I don't want," I said coldly and wanted to go back to my room.

He grabbed my wrist, stopping me, and pulled me towards him, making me face him.