⁂ 𝓯𝓲𝓻𝓼𝓽 𝓶𝓮𝓮𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓰

"Mr. Smith!" I smiles over to him.

Mr. Smith, also like a figure as my parents. When I didn't have no one to call mine and didn't even have shelter to hide myself in. He was the only one to give me a roof over my head.

"Get yourself a social life for once. I'm getting tired of your voice echoing inside of my library"

I chuckled. "Well, somebody should take the blame for assigning you as the library director for a decade. And I'm happy enough just by learning new information of our history"

Mr. Smith knows something about my past that he never told to anyone, he took the role for being a gaurdian of me when I was a teenager until I finished my studies because my parents died in an accident.

But the old man wants them to the casual on each other, he doesn't want to dishonour my memories of my parents.

"Don't worry, my insurance is well-funded and I have enough money to check unvisited locations in our country. You will never know maybe one day I could get Noble Prize for proving that mermaids exist" I told him, taking a book which looks readable.

"Child, there is no such things as mermaids. They were just made to scare-off illegal fishermen" He laughed at me, taking the book from my hand and give me another book. "You already read it more than ten times" He chuckled.

Well! Yes, I know that but I just love to read that book again and again. A forbidden love between an angel and a girl!

"Ten Euro says you are wrong!" I said, sticking on the point that mermaids exists.

"Twenty euro says I'm right!" He is also stubborn.

I scoffs. "How dare you sir. I doubt if you are really a normal person of a pirate blending around us. You are so sneaky with your ways" I shrugged, side-eyeing him.

"I will need your master key. I'm going to use the archives room tomorrow" I demand extending my hand so he can put the key on my palm. Mr. Smith shows a bit of discomfort on my request.

He sighed, before dragging his hand into the pocket of his leather coat, which looks heavy. "Don't be too careless again Mademoiselle. You lost my three master key, you wanker" He exclaimed looking at me, putting the key on to my palm.

I hold the key. "It's not my fault if your key is made up of small silver, it slips from my hand so easily" I shrugged nonchalantly. "I'm off, see you tomorrow, sir" I proceed to walk.

"Why do you always going back inside the archives. You have already read all of the books there?" He questions.

I stopped walking and glare over to him. "I love refreshing my mind, I might missed something. Oh crap! Give this to your lovely wife Lauretta, she mentioned that she badly wants to try my French butter scotch toast" I hand him box, which he holds with uninterested face.

"This isn't a French Toast, this is diabetes" He showed me the box.

"Old jock. I'm so miffed" I said getting offended.

He laughed. "Oh, did you see him again?"

I shifted my body to face the library director, making my eyes went bigger. It took seconds before I realised what the old man is talking about.

"Oh that lad? I'm starting to wonder if he loves your brick wall so much. It concerns me that he might get hypothermia and make me wanted to lend him my coat" I exclaimed.

"He's sitting there every winter, you say?" Mr. Smith added.

"Indeed. Goodbye old jock" I turned without listening Mr. Smith talks and made my way out the library.

My heels echoed in the whole library as I hurriedly walked outside to catch up with my next schedule. I glance over to wrist watch. "Oh hell! My friend is going to kill me"

I walked outside the library and hurriedly walking, when I found that man sitting on the wall.

I look up on the brick wall, seeing a man in solemnity in the middle of a very cold weather. He keeps on staring above. I wrap myself in the coat more tightly. Seeing him making myself feel cold.

What's so important? Why he sit there in starting of winter season.

"He's crazy! How could possibly a human body can tolerate this freezing breeze. He is so.... Pale!" My feet dragged me towards him.

I remembered, I always saw that man every winter. Same place, same time. "How long has it been? Twenty years?" I try recall, but get interrupted by my phone buzzing in my pocket. I hurriedly took it out.

"Where in the arse are you?" Jess yell from the other side. "The ribbon cutting is going to start in few minutes!"

I squeeze my eyes and side-eyed at the man. "Umm, I am so sorry, something's came up. I'll be there bye!" I glance over at him and sighed.

I call for a cab and instructed the driver on a specific location. My eyes fall on that man just see him sitting still. I shake my head to remove the unwanted thoughts. But the man's face still lingers on my mind.

The car started moving as the figure of man started to disappear from my sight. I turned my attention to the driver.

"He looks very peaceful sitting there like he isn't bothered at all!" I whispered to myself, can't help myself thinking about him.