Chapter 14

CHAPTER 14

"Alice! Get away from him!" I yelled.

Alice shook her head and gave Brett a nod. "It's okay, Zoey doesn't understand," she murmured to him. "She's scared and confused."

"As fuck!" I added with a shout.

"Let me explain to her. Like you did to me, babe." Alice ushered an annoyed Brett out of the bedroom. "Give us some time, okay?"

"I don't know how that would help... but fine, do it your way." Brett huffed and exited the room.

I looked at Alice suspiciously. It's like I didn't know my best friend any longer.

"Alice, what the fuck is going on?" I demanded. I was still shaken up as my fingers dug into my arms, squeezed tight against my chest. I couldn't trust anyone... even Alice, and the thought hurt my heart.

Alice plopped down on the bed and sighed. "Oh, Zoey... I need you to promise not to freak out on me."

"Alice, I'm already freaked out. I don't think I could freak out anymore." I said. "Now tell me what the hell is going on?"

Alice bit her bottom lip. "I know Brett is a werewolf," she confessed. "Everyone here is."

"Every family member and local?" I asked in utter shock! This was worse than I thought. My nightmare coming fucking true.

"Yeah, and they're members of the pack." Alice said. "Remember that time Brett took me to the woods, and I returned anxious and upset?"

I nodded, blinking hard.

"Well, that's the afternoon he shifted in front of me —"

"Shifted?" I asked, confused.

"He... transformed into a smoky grey wolf," she explained. "The one you probably saw earlier at the back of the main house."

I breathed in deep. The air chocking my lungs. "Oh, fuck me." I buried my face in my hands.

Alice continued. "And he told me all about his pack."

"What the hell do you mean by pack? Like a pack of wolves."

She nodded. "Yeah, their pack is called Moon Stone, and Lincoln is their Alpha, with Faye as their Luna. Maddox is apparently in line to be Alpha of the Moon Stone pack."

My mouth went dry. "Is this shit for real?" It couldn't be. Somebody wake me the fuck up!

"I'm afraid so. I was disturbed, just like you. But Brett eased me into it and Faye helped me understand all of this."

I sat down next to her, feeling suddenly exhausted. "I don't think I'll understand any of it." I closed my eyes, trying to soak in the discovery. My scientific mind wouldn't have any of it, rejecting every word she said. But my eyes saw what it witnessed — Brett shifting into a wolf. There was no fighting that fact.

I swallowed thickly. Tears prickled my eyes as I almost burst out crying.

"I know it's a lot to take in." Alice said, her warm hand touched my back, trying to comfort me. But it didn't work. A moment of silence passed between us as the confession sunk disturbingly in. "It's crazy, huh? I'm dating a werewolf," she chuckled.

I shook my head, stunned. "No, it's not." I looked at her seriously. "This is dangerous, Alice. We're out of our league here. We don't know what these people can do to us. Maddox looks like he wants to rip my head off. We still need to leave tonight." I glanced at my packed bags settled in the corner. My only hope.

Alice shook her head and stood up. "You can still go, but I think I'm going to stay here with Brett," she said. "Let's just go outside and pretend you saw nothing. Like you're super okay with all of this."