Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5

The sun filtered through the window, filling the room with its warm rays. It crept on my bed, glazing my open toes that my blanket didn't reach. I slept like a log. The only thing that stirred me was the hard knock on the door, followed by a shout, and someone jumping on my bed, waking me gruffly up from my tranquil sleep.

"Wake up, bestie!" Alice yelled; her voice filled with eagerness. She quickly climbed onto the edge of the mattress and leaped off, just like she used to do when we were kids.

I groaned. "Freak, what time is it?"

"Time to get your lazy ass up." Alice said and walked to the window, stretching her arms out in her denim skirt and light yellow strappy top. Her flaming red hair flowing behind her. She opened the window and breathed in the new day.

I squinted at her with the blanket still covering my cheeks. The damn sun was way too bright, and Alice was way too chirpy, hushing the morning birds to shame. Jeez, all that was missing was her breaking into a Disney song.

She looked at my half unimpressed, half-sleepy face. "C'mon, they're all gathering for breakfast in twenty minutes." She said and hurled to the bed, yanking off the blanket. I instantly missed its warmth and groaned, forcing my upper body and legs to move. I wiped the light drool from the side of my mouth. My fingers rubbed my eyes and raked through my thick, long, black hair. I looked like a mess in the morning. It's not like I had anyone to please.

"Okay, okay. I'm up," I said. "No need to get violent." I joked. "I'll take a quick shower."

I sauntered over to my bag, pulling out fresh clothes and my toothbrush. "There are fresh towels in the bathroom." She said, making up my bed. "How was your sleep?"

I nodded, still grumpy from waking up — I was not a morning person. "Pretty well," I said, surprised. "Slept like a newborn baby."

Alice smiled sheepishly. "I had a pretty good night, too." She bit the corner of her lip.

I side-glanced at her and rolled my eyes. "Yeah, I know. I heard you." I shook my head with a ghost of a smile, faintly hearing sexy moans and groans from upstairs in the early hours of the morning. "I'm pretty sure the whole lodge heard you, too."

Alice slapped both her cheeks in embarrassment. Her face turning rosy. "Don't say that. I just met Brett's parents this morning. I hope they heard nothing." She looked mortified.

"Just keep your howling down, will ya. People are trying to sleep."

She laughed and jerked me in the rib. "I thought it didn't bother you, sleeping like a baby, remember?"

"It's because I drown you out with music." I explained. Brushing out my hair and tying it in a plain ponytail, trying to comb back my untamed hair strands, but those buggers just kept on popping up. Oh, well. I shrugged.

"Brett's mother is really welcoming. His father... well." She dragged her mouth up.

I glanced at her. "Well, what?"

"He looks kind of strict and I get the feeling he doesn't want Brett with me." She chewed the inside of her cheek. "I'm so desperate to make a good impression."

"You're making a good impression. Just be your cheery and kind self and they'll love you, like everyone back home does." I assured her.

She nodded and breathed in deep, checking the clothes that I laid on the bed. "I wish you'd put some bright colors into your clothes," she shook her head, examining my plain black strappy top and khaki grey shorts.