Chapter 17

CHAPTER 17

"What do you mean Alice isn't your mate?" I frowned. "She's your girlfriend. I thought you two were serious."

"We are serious," he barked. "I am serious, and she is my girlfriend. I care deeply for her. But she isn't my mate."

Mike palmed his forehead. "You can't have a human as a mate," He explained, trying to help his brother along.

I scrunched my eyes. "Why not?" I asked.

"It just doesn't happen that way. It's a werewolf thing." Mike continued. "Humans can love werewolves and werewolves can love humans, but the mate connection will never happen. It's a connection between two wolves which a human is not."

"Well, that sucks for Alice!" I snapped and returned my attention to a brooding Brett. "Does Alice know about this? Your half-hearted feelings for her?"

Brett snapped his eyes to me that turned angry. "It's not half-hearted feelings!" he growled, and I sucked in air, shutting up. He blinked hard, holding in his emotions. "Sometimes I think she's my mate. Wanting her to be... hoping." He pushed through gritted teeth, like it was difficult for him to spit out the words. "I care deeply for her. No human woman has made me feel that way. I would do anything for Alice... even tolerate you to live on our pack grounds simply because you're her best friend. I'm trying to make her happy."

"Then what is she to you?" I asked hesitantly.

"Mine... she's mine," He confessed, dropping his gaze on the ground. The twins listened silently, but Zack looked like he wanted to burst out with a joke but knew better not to.

"But what will happen if you find a mate?" I asked.

"I won't," Brett breathed and regained his stoic composure. "It has to be Alice. I wouldn't want any other."

Brett stomped off the steps and jogged on the grounds. Mike stood at the edge of the deck observing his brother and shook his head. "That wolf's confused. Brett will meet his mate eventually and when he does..." his mischievous brown eyes trailed to me. "Goodbye Alice."

"Don't say that!" I said infuriated. "Brett said he'll always choose her!"

Mike shook his head lazily with a deep frown. "Nah, he thinks he can, but he won't be able to control himself. Like he said, the mate connection is unbreakable, and nothing can stand between it... not even sexy little Alice."

I swallowed thickly. Poor Alice. This will break her heart. I looked away and got lost in my thoughts as the twins argued about something yet again.

Do I tell Alice? I bit the corner of my lip. She practically gave up her home life and college for Brett and it wasn't even a guarantee he'll be with her. I shut my eyes; she loved him so much. This will be an enormous blow.

I was unsure what to do.

I felt the light breeze brushing against my cheeks and my eyes snapped open. I scrunched my nose and fell into the twin's argument, catching a word that raised my reservations... rogues.

"I swear, they're getting more bold crossing over our territory," Zack huffed. "Something's definitely up with them."

"Yeah, the rogues never act that way, especially if Maddox is home." Mike agreed, narrowing his eyes suspiciously.

"I hear a lot about these rogues," I said, glancing between the Zack and Mike. "Should I be concerned?"

"With all this information we're letting you in on, we have to approach 'If I tell you, I have to kill you' concept." Zack chuckled, and I breathed out a frustrated breath.