Chapter 12

CHAPTER 12

The clock struck noon, and I sat on the bench, gazing around the enormous yard. White clouds hid the blue sky, but it didn't deter the fifty people from enjoying the barbeque. The delightful aroma of sizzling meats wafted through the air. My eyes floated amongst the locals, who eagerly gathered to celebrate their young men and the weekend together.

Under the shade of a towering oak tree, a group of young boys played football, a little too rough and dangerous as they crashed and wrestled into each other. Their laughter echoed through the yard. Two middle-aged men took charge of manning the grill as they expertly flipped burgers and bulks of meat.

I wanted to help, but I was hopeless at making salads. Instead, I was in my room all morning — packing up my suitcase. It was all ready at the door for my departure tonight. Alice didn't say who would drive me to the bus station. But I was all set to leave the house, even if Alice didn't want to come with me. But this place was freaking me out, and I was ready to go.

It still stung. She and I didn't finish our discussion from last night. We hardly said a word all day. I observed her talking with a few locals who appeared to welcome her in their group, with Brett by her side. The twins stomped up from behind him and, abruptly, Zack grabbed Brett's shoulder, whispering in his ear, and hauled him away from Alice. Suddenly, Brett's demeanor changed and so did the twins. They marched to the side of the house and disappeared around the corner.

My eyes drifted to Lincoln and Faye, who were talking with the town hall's land inspector. Apparently, he scheduled his annual visit today. He was a small-framed man with brown curly hair. His friendly face looked like he couldn't hurt a fly. A total opposite to the people that lived here.

Did the inspector find them strange, too?

Underneath the huge thatch roof, the women started unpacking the food on huge wooden trays and I stood up. Pleaded by the grumbles in my stomach, I moved to the picnic table.

The tantalizing array of food laid out on the table was a sight to behold—a symphony of grilled meats, vibrant salads, and freshly baked rolls that made mouths water with anticipation. The people crowded the table in a flash. Plates piled high with juicy burgers, succulent chicken skewers, and marinated ribs were stacked, accompanied by bowls of creamy coleslaw, tangy potato salad, and sweet corn on the cob.

The throng of people pushed me back. Jeez, these people were animals as they grabbed plates and meat with their bare hands. Did they not know etiquette for fuck's sake?!

I sighed.

Maybe it was best I waited out the mob and opted to go to the bathroom instead. I staggered across the grounds to the main house. As I reached the steps, I heard a croaky voice call behind me.

"Hello, my dear."

I turned around and saw the old woman who nursed my strained ankle. Her gem-like purple eyes studied me. "So, I see you're still around, huh?" she crowed and dropped her eyes to my brace. "How's the leg?"

I nodded. "It's holding up, thanks."

She crawled closer with her arms across her multi-colored beaded chest. "Unfortunately, that's not the only pain you'll experience, my lovely."

I narrowed my eyes. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Ha-ha-ha!" she cackled shrilly. "Oh, hun... you have no idea what you entangled yourself in."

I shook my head and looked at her like she grew a fucking wart on her face as she walked away, still laughing.

I couldn't get faster away from this place as I marched through the open door into the vacant foyer. The house was empty, with everyone enjoying the barbeque outside. I was sick and tired of this damn place and its freaky people with their even stranger talk! Tonight couldn't come sooner.