Chapter 26

CHAPTER 26

He had to say before dawn... damn!

I stood annoyed in front of the mirror, tying my hair into a messy pony. I wore comfortable tights and a gym top with sneakers. It was way too early for this as I gazed at the lavender sky, peeling away to reveal an orange glow beneath.

I scowled. We weren't in the fucking marines!

"Jeez," I grumbled as I made my way out of my bedroom and down the stairs. Everyone was still in their bedrooms, fast asleep. The house was silent and filled with dimmed darkness as dull morning light crept through the curtains.

Opening the front door, I walked on the deck alone. Zack or Brett wasn't waiting for me.

Were they late? I thought, scrunching my nose. I folded my arms and darted my head around, feeling like a lost chicken.

In a short distance, a sharp whistle pierced the cool morning air. I turned my gaze in its direction, and Zack stood at a sizeable clearing opposite the training ground, calling me. Brett stood behind him with his arms crossed over his chest as it rose with a deep breath.

"Oh boy," I murmured softly. "This was going to be an interesting start to the day."

"Morning, sunshine," Zack smirked as I approached closer to them. "Right on time."

"Yeah, is this really necessary for training to be this early?" I shrugged with a yawn. "I mean, we have the whole morning, right?"

Brett straightened his back and walked to me dressed in black training clothes. My eyes dropped to his hands, wrapped in white bandages over his knuckles. I blinked. Gosh! What the hell did these two brothers have in mind?

His eyes scrutinizing my face with a determined gaze. "In the wolf world, it's kill or be killed," he said firmly. "You want to die?"

I glanced to the side if me. "Errr, no," I answered vaguely, and looked at Zack, who suddenly turned serious, too.

"Then stand at attention," Brett growled.

I stood at attention, clicking my heels, and giving a salute. "Sir, yes, sir!" I stifled a chuckle.

Brett narrowed his eyes as he dangerously stood directly in front of me. His breath hot on my face as his gaze studied every feature of my face.

"You think this shit is funny?" he hissed.

Oh, my. It appears I have pissed him off. But what's new? I shook my head and crinkled my forehead.

Brett moved to the centre of the clearing, flexing his hands, and I watched on in concern. "What are your plans for training?" I asked hesitantly, somewhat afraid of the answer.

Zack chuckled darkly. "Get ready for a rough ride, Miss Fragile."

Fuck me! I swallowed hard.

"We'll test your strength first," Brett said. "You're beta. So, you should be typically strong. Whether you can use it, will be determined."

Brett gave a nod to Zack, and Zack moved smugly to a huge grey-stoned rock thrice as large and heavy as he was. He lifted it with gritted teeth and placed it above his back. With one big lift, he tossed it in the air, throwing it at a sizeable distance. He looked at me and smirked pompously. I scrunched my nose as he moved to the next enormous rock of the same size, lodged into the ground. He flexed his muscles with a cheeky grin, and Brett rolled his eyes.

"Watch this, sweetheart," Zack chimed, and closed his fist into a punch, striking the rock, splitting it in half in two to three strikes.

I winced. Was I expected to do that, too? Cracking freaking rocks.