Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

I can't believe I agreed to this.

I sat in the passenger seat in the Ford Focus we hired from the airport, packed with our backpacks and suitcases. We landed three hours ago from our early morning flight and had over seven more hours to drive to the outskirts of Oregon. Alice said we'll be staying at Brett's family lodge for two weeks, max.

I turned back and saw the outline of the city fade into the distance. An uneasiness crept over me. I hated being in desolated places without buildings, streets, and bustles of people. My gaze returned ahead, and the road was long and endless.

I breathed in and out deeply. The city scenes have already turned to the vast landscape of the countryside. "This is exciting," Alice grinned. Obviously, this was exciting to her. She was journeying to the love of her life.

I grumbled under my breath, clutching my arms against my chest with a hard grimace.

"C'mon, Zoey, where's your sense of adventure?" she squealed.

"My ideal adventure includes diving in the sea with dolphins and studying their biology. Not driving to the middle of forest central." I huffed. But I couldn't say no to the trip. Alice said she needed me. She didn't want to go alone. As a loyal best friend, it was my duty to go. And besides, this was the only proper way for us to spend time together and hopefully have some fun.

"Stop being miss grumpy," she laughed, poking me in the rib. I jolted every time she did that. "It'll be so much fun."

I gave a cheeky side-eye and sighed. "Yeah, I guess." I mumbled. "Hey, does Brett know I'm coming?"

She waved me off with her hand. "Brett's cool with it. My friend is his friend." She winked.

I nodded hesitantly.

The warm afternoon wind swept through my hair as I rolled down the window, settling into the long drive. I closed my eyes and basked in the warm sunshine as it washed over my face, breathing in the fresh country air. Music blasted from the car's speakers. 'Bad Blood' boomed around me, and I rolled my eyes with a playful chuckle. For the next hour, we belted out to songs by Taylor Swift. It felt like old times — best friends against the world.

As we drove, the scenery changed, from rolling hills to vast deserts to towering mountains. We stopped often to take pictures and stretch our legs, savoring the freedom of the open road. We talked about our plans for when we'll get to Oregon, excitedly discussing all the places we wanted to visit and the things she wanted to do with Brett. We filled the silence of what we'll do after college, sharing our deepest fears and insecurities. Alice planned to stay close to Brett, far away from Hopkins. I wasn't thrilled to hear it.

"I wonder how Brett's family is," she swallowed hard. "I hope they'll like me."

"Of course they will," I scoffed. "You're like the most likeable and optimistic person I know."

We giggled about what hairy family members Brett might have while sharing a pack of jelly gums. I of course, snatching all the red ones. They were simply the best.

The start of our adventure wasn't turning out that bad... But little did I know.

After eight hours of driving, Alice stopped at a diner, after hearing my stomach grumble. The small rectangle building looked outlandish on the side of the winding road against the massive backdrop of unoccupied land. It made me restless, realizing we were far from Hopkins.

The air was cooler here as I pulled out a woolen cardigan. I wrapped it over my checked blue shirt, and it fell to my thighs on my dark jeans. I tightened my undone ponytail; the breeze carrying my tousled flyways across my face. I shoved it haphazardly behind my ear. Alice slid on her denim jacket over her lilac dress, and we entered the tiny diner, called The Noodle Pig.