Chapter 27

CHAPTER 27

Maddox

My nose twitched.

My jaw ticked.

My left hand contracted into a damn fist.

I stood at the edge of the vast training ground stretched out before me, filled with the sounds of labored grunts and the heavy thud of boots on the ground. A group of battle-hardened wolves gathered in the centre.

I stepped forward, my voice boomed through the training ground. "Wolves! Be ready for battles that forever await us. Remember, protect your pack and your pack will protect you. Our strength lies not only in our wolf, but in our unity. Train hard, fight harder." The words I always reminded them.

Long shadows tracked across the field from the setting sun as the twenty wolves, young and old, formed a tight circle, their faces etched from hard training. They were all seasoned warriors, and you had to be prepared for anything — especially being a Moonstone wolf! I was their leader and the second in charge was my father's beta. I was ruthless and strict in my training. I had to be. Many outside packs and rogues tested us. To see if we would break. We were the best at battle. The most feral and wild, hidden away from the civilized world that most of our wolves hadn't even come close to humans, except for me. I had to do business with the wretched breed.

We were untamed from manners and polite society. A true wolf of the wild and earned a certain reputation as one of the largest and strongest packs.

"Keep on sparring?" I continued to command, folding my arms across my taut chest.

The wolves howled in response; a resounding anthem that excited me filled the air. But the thrill was lost. Another replaced it, grinning my wolf and I hated it!

Swallowing hard, I stopped observing my men and glanced behind.

There she was...

Zoey!

The human that plagued me!

Looking at her train across with another male wolf — something smoldered deep below. Even though the wolf she trained with was my brother, it still bothered me, wanting to tear Zack's fucking head off! My wolf getting agitated as fuck. I growled inside, vibrating every vein coursing beneath my flesh.

Every muscle in my body tightened as I fought against the urge. Even my teeth grounded with tense protest.

I looked back fucking again!

Zoey wore tight training clothes — hugging every inch of her slender body. Snug shorts shaped her well-rounded ass, I kept glimpsing at unwillingly. A fitted top constricted her humble but plump breasts. Thank fuck she wore a training bra, preventing further diversions.

She practiced defence tactics with Zack under the watchful eyes of Brett and reluctantly mine, too. She was supposed to be sparring only, dammit! But Zack touched her lean waist! He held onto her lower back a little too long for my liking. He grabbed her bare-skinned arms, feeling her flesh that I blinked three times with envy.

And she was smiling! Probably enjoying every moment.

It might as well they've played the fucking human Twister game!

I forced my gaze towards my men, trying to focus on their combat techniques, each of their strikes calculated and fierce while hearing my wolf barking in my brain. I jerked my head to my right, commanding my wolf to shut the hell up! My left jaw ticking relentlessly.

I moved among the wolves, sparring in pairs in their human form. Sweat dripped from their brows as they pushed their bodies to the limit, honing their skills. Their arms blocked blows with precision, their fists sliced through the air with deadly accuracy.