Chapter 25

CHAPTER 25

Fear swam in Alice's eyes as my wolf pinned her chest down with her left paw against the wooden planks of the deck. Her gritted teeth bared and growled dangerously against Alice's cheek. A frightened scream escaped Alice's throat and in the same motion a strong and muscled arm wrapped around my neck, tugging me back — subduing me! My wolf writhed and moved violently to get out of the powerful embrace, my jaws snapping into the air. My wolf hated to be suppressed. But the grip was too strong.

"You need to calm down, Zoey." I heard Brett command in my ear. But my wolf didn't yield. She was angry, and I felt the rage, too!

Alice crawled to the corner of the deck, watching me with terror, clutching her neck as if she had escaped death. It angered me more!

Alpha Lincoln walked up on the deck from his late afternoon walk with Faye. His sallow eyes looked at Brett gripping me tight. "Take her to the basement," he ordered. Tiredness etched in his groggy voice. "Calm her down."

Brett nodded and hauled me away, back into the main house. My wolf resisted as best as she could, but Brett was too skilled and experienced. My claws dragged down the wooden passage floor, tearing through the wood as Brett still held me in a choke hold, heaving me away down the dark long, concrete steps to the sizeable basement. My teeth sank into his forearm, and he growled and seized me tighter.

Cool air smothered my snout with its musky and strong scent. Other wolves had been caged here, too. Dim light filtered in through a small, dirty window high on the basement wall. The room was empty, and cobwebs buried the top corners of the tattered ceiling with dried blood on the floor.

A steel pole stood in the middle of the dusty floor scattered with wolf's fur with two heavy chains connected to it. There were two huge collars. One was iron and the other silver. Brett yanked my wolf's body to the pole and skillfully locked my neck with the iron collar, and chained my forelegs with shackles. Panic gripped me as I fought against the damn chains. My wolf struggled furiously, its powerful muscles rippling as it tried to break free.

My fierce hazel eyes filled with a mixture of defiance and fear.

"Easy now, Zoey," Brett said as he knelt beside me, studying my wolf. From her tail to her lowered ears. "Easy, don't fight it," he whispered.

He reached his left hand out to my wolf, and I blinked in shock as he touched my thick, silky white fur. His fingers gliding down my back. Instinctively, my jaws snapped at his hand, and he snatched it away in time. I lowered myself into a defensive crouch, baring my sharp teeth, letting out a low, menacing growl.

The corner of Brett's mouth hiked up in a smirk as he stood up. He inspected his bite on his forearm that bled a little, already showing signs of healing.

My wolf continued to snarl and struggle against its bonds.

With a raise of his brow, he looked at me. "Calm your wolf down. You'll soon return to your human form," he said. "Until then, you stay here."

He turned around and returned up the stairs, closing the door with a thud behind him. I was left alone, panting in the dull light. My wolf tried to break the chains, but it was too heavy and constricting. I felt imprisoned against my will and my wolf hated it. With a howl, I blew out a defeated breath and collapsed on the floor, exhausted. Attempting to relax my adrenaline pumped wolf, I inhaled and exhaled deeply. Finally, my wolf listened and closed her eyes.

I wasn't sure how much time had passed by.

The concrete floor was cold against my bare skin as I picked myself up from a quick nap. I had returned to my human form — naked as a newborn baby. Lifting the large collar from my neck, my eyes inspected the huge round iron between my fingers.