Chapter 21

CHAPTER 21

Another rough night, and this time I remembered everything. An intense itch started on my wound in the early hours of the morning. I had left it open to air out and I hadn't stopped scratching since. I stretched my limbs across the single bed, extending my strained muscles. The patter of raindrops tapped on the window. The sky a blanket of grey clouds. I climbed from under my sheet and sat on the bed, grasping my forehead. It was still burning up, nothing helped to ease it.

Strange things started to happen.

I stood up and sauntered to the bathroom. My eyes widened as I looked at my reflection in the mirror. I didn't recognize the woman staring back at me. My tanned, honeyed skin was ghostly pale. My hazel-green eyes looked dim and sullen with darkness beneath it. I looked ill, like I had the fucking plague.

My eyes closed in defeat, and I bumped my back against the door, surrendering to my deadly fate.

I was going to die...

I wouldn't make it out of this alive without medication or anything. The wolves were sealing my death warrant. Maybe that was their sick plan?

But what was worse was the mounting feeling inside me. Something pulled and tugged, every organ inside constricting and twisting. It was painful, like something wanted to break free. An otherworldly power surging through my body, threatening to consume me entirely.

"Fuck!" I blew out a breath, grabbing my chest from the pressure building.

I just needed to make it through this unforgiving day. Hour by hour, minute by minute. My hand reached for the shower, and I turned on the cold water. I needed to cool down.

After a quick shower, I dressed in a dark jeans and a purple strappy top with sneakers. I would've preferred to go out naked with this sizzling heat. I jogged down the steps and tied my wet hair in a messy ponytail, meeting Alice at the breakfast table that I'd missed out on. I didn't want people to see me this way... so sick.

"Hey, how are you feeling this morning?" Alice asked, pouring me coffee.

I shook my head. "How does it look like I feel?" I said, declining the coffee and poured a tall glass of orange juice instead. It was cooler.

"Yeah, you don't look very well," she sucked in a breath. "Bad night again?"

I shrugged. "It's not like anyone gives a damn around here," I snapped and scratched my wound profusely.

Alice flinched. "I care."

I paused and nodded in regret. "Yeah, I know. Sorry for snapping," I sighed. "I don't know what's wrong with me."

Alice grimaced as she watched me attack my wound with fingers and nails. "Let's go outside and take a walk. What do you say?" Alice suggested, grabbing her jacket.

I pursed my lips. "It's raining outside."

Alice nodded. "It's just a drizzle and you need the fresh air. It might do you good. The weather might cool off your fever."

"Okay, yeah." I agreed and grabbed a banana. "Let's go."

"You don't need a jacket? It's cold and wet outside." Alice frowned.

"I'm burning up. I'm hot enough, believe me." I said, and we both walked towards the front door.

*

Alice was absolutely right. The weather couldn't have been more perfect. The gentle raindrops kissed my face, bringing a soothing sensation. A refreshing breeze caressed my hair, providing a sense of relief. We had walked all morning, and I was damp from the drizzle. My hair was clammy, but I didn't mind. I was back in the kitchen, still expected to do my duties. Poppy chopped up deer meat for tonight's dinner and I sat idly peeling the potatoes at the table. Poppy continued to chat about the pack, gossiping about each member she could think of.