Chapter 13

CHAPTER 13

"Excuse me, did you say wolf?"

I looked at the town's land inspector, who had a puzzled expression.

I nodded. "Yes! W-w-wolf." I stuttered, still reeling from the shock. "A damn wolf!"

His face fell, and he darted his head across the ground. "Wolves! Where?!" he scanned the crowd of faces all looking at us. The barbeque came to a standstill from our commotion. "Where?" he shouted.

"Here!" I yelled. "At the back of the house!"

Alice grabbed my shoulders. "What the fuck are you saying?" she said, looking left and right. "Calm down, Zoey... please." She begged.

"Oh my," the land inspector said, clutching the clipboard against his chest. His eyes reciprocating my fear. He turned to Lincoln. "You know, I heard ghastly stories about large animals roaming these forests. Maybe it's wolves. I should write a report and call in the sheriff or pest control."

Lincoln grunted and pushed his way through, walking towards the back of the house.

Faye smiled and interrupted. "No-no-no, Mr. Callaway," she took his hand gently. "There's no need for that. We live here and I assure you there are no wolves." Her eyes met mine. "This is Alice's friend and..." she chuckled. "I'm afraid she hurt her ankle and the medication she's on made her slightly loopy. I presume she might have seen a fox. They're quite common around here."

Faye looked at Alice and she nodded. "Yes, a fox. I've seen one earlier this morning out at the back." Alice said.

The land inspector frowned with a doubtful raised brow.

I pursed my lips. "No, you didn't Alice, stop lyin —"

"Alice, why don't you take Zoey to the house so she can lie down." Faye interjected.

"I don't need to lie down!" I pulled out of Alice's grip. Why was she not listening to me?! Instead, she was fucking covering shit up! "We need to get out of here now, Alice." I tugged her arm. "I need to talk to you." I whispered to the side of her face. But she wouldn't budge as she looked at me with anxious eyes.

"I still think I need to call in re-enforcement to investigate the area." The land inspector suggested with a deep concerned frown.

I looked around and all the locals were staring at me while Faye guided the restless land inspector away. And then I realized, like a punch to the head. Brett might not be the only werewolf around. Instantly I looked at everyone as suspects. There was probably more. I crept closer to Alice, suddenly feeling self-conscience as my heart drummed inside my chest. "We neeeeed to leave, pleeeese."

"No, we can't, Zoey. Just shut up, will ya?" she whispered back, grasping my arms. I shook my head and looked at her with the same suspicion. I drew my eyes to the back of the house as six men sauntered around the corner.

"Oh, fuck..." I murmured. My eyes met Brett's annoyed gaze, and I clutched my crutch tighter — ready to defend Alice and myself. He was no longer in wolf form but himself with different clothes on. Maddox marched in front; his eyes fixed on me with a growing scowl on his face. His father and the other's behind him.

I felt my legs giving in.

"They are going to kill me," I whispered.

"They're not, just relax, Zoey." Alice said. But I couldn't relax. How could I? My brain went into overdrive of a way to get out of here, but danger was all around. My eyes darted to the car. It still hadn't been fixed. I looked at the forest and shook my head. How far would we run and there might be worse creatures out there? My eyes returned to Brett, who marched towards us, each step heated with anger. My attention darted to the main house.