Chapter 15

CHAPTER 15

I didn't know what to say.

No words escaped my mouth.

Did I hear right?

"What?" I whispered faintly. "Kill me?"

Savina strolled beside Maddox, a mischievous smile played on her lips. As she leisurely ran her tongue over the edge of her upper lip, a shiver of unease coursed through me. "Allow me the pleasure," she purred, and an unsettling wave of panic washed over my body. Abruptly, her canines extended, causing me to instinctively take a trembling step backward. My gaze locked with Maddox, his piercing blue eyes refusing to release their grip on me.

Was this really happening?

Alice tugged me backward. "Brett!" Alice shouted at him with a frown. "Your brother is insane!"

Brett let out an exasperated sigh and couldn't help but roll his eyes, frustrated that he needed to intervene yet again. "I understand it's our way," Brett addressed his elder brother, but Maddox remained unmoved, his arms defiantly folded across his broad chest. Brett shifted his attention to his father, a plea in his voice. "Can't the friend stay here, just like Alice, for a little while?" he reasoned. "We won't allow her to leave until she's trusted with our secret."

After all this time, was I still only 'the friend'?

My brain absorbed the shock and Brett trying to save my life. I instantly helped him along, pleading with Lincoln — not glancing at Maddox's lethal gaze. "Trust me, no one will believe me where I come from." I said and pictured the other students in chemistry lectures laughing at my confession about werewolves and that fairytales fucking existed.

I blinked long and hard.

Maddox chuckled darkly. "The friend can't stay here any longer. One human is already too much," he said. "What if the surrounding packs get wind of their pathetic scent — especially our enemies in the north. We're the strongest pack in the east. It will make us look weak." He growled. "We're already having problems with defiant rogues that are testing our forest."

"She has to stay here. Killing must be the last option," Brett argued. "No wolves will know humans are on our grounds."

"For the sake of who, brother?" Maddox growled. "Your human?"

Alice touched his Brett's arm tenderly while he took a deep breath in.

Maddox scoffed. "That's what you get dating a human."

"Tragic, really," Savina agreed with her lips snarled.

Brett glared at her smug face. "She'll keep low and stay out of our way," He said and glanced at me with a grimace.

I eagerly nodded my head. "Yes! I'll have no problem with that."

"And anyway, it's up to father to decide." Brett huffed and looked at Maddox. "You're not Alpha yet."

"Father will see it my way. It needs to be done," Maddox said firmly. His words rippling fear across my flesh. We all turned to Lincoln.

Lincoln paused in thought and then he spoke, his voice filled with authority. "I'll allow the friend to stay on our pack grounds. I'll extend the same curtesy as I did to Alice. For the sake of Brett."

"Father —" Maddox said through clenched teeth.

"Enough! My decision is final," Lincoln declared firmly, causing Maddox to inhale deeply, not uttering a word against his father. Lincoln turned around and walked away, leaving us behind. Faye offered Maddox a feeble nod and a smile before following Lincoln toward the main house. The small crowd that had gathered around us slowly scattered.