Chapter Seven

"Recuerdas a Mulán?" I ask, pushing Ansley's hair back from her face

(Do you remember Mulan?)

"Sí." Ansley says softly as she looks away from the television.

"Bien. ¿Recuerdas en qué se convirtió?" I play with her hair brown curly hair as I speak softly to her.
(Good. Do you remember what she became?)

"Soldado?" She guesses.
(Soldier?)

"Sí, mi niña inteligente." I praise as her cheeks tint with the extra attention.
(Yes, my smart girl.)

"Your Mami is going to be like Mulan." I tell her, watching as she tries to figure out what I mean.

"You can't be like Mulan, Mami. Don't be silly, there is no war so you can't be a soldier." Ansley giggles.

"Sí, no hay guerra." I smile wearily, knowing that might be a lie. There is a reason Roman needs someone like me.
(Yes, no war.)

"Mr. Roman says that we're safe." She says, nodding to confirm. Just as she says that, the hair on my arm stands as I feel his sharp eyes in me.

"When did you speak to Mr. Roman?" I ask a little angry. I've tried my hardest to keep her away from all of these men. They are cold and ruthless and I don't need them around my daughter.

"When you are fighting. He watches you, mamí." She says with a wide grin. "But he says we are safe and I believe him. He lets me watch The Incredibles on his phone!"

"Oh really?" I ask with mock excitement to not put a damper on her mood.

"Sí."

"Has preguntado por qué no podemos ir a casa, ¿quieres saberlo?" I rub my hand on her back.
(You have asked why we can't go home, do you want to know?)

Ansley nods her head rapidly.

"Entra aqui." I call over my shoulder then hear his expensive shoes hit the floor as he walks. He's wearing his normal attire; a white dress shirt and black slacks. He slowly takes a seat on the couch.
(Get in here.)

"Hey, mama." Roman says lowly, leaning back into the couch. I don't spare him a glance. I don't want him around my daughter and I certainly don't want him around me.

"We can't go home because I am a soldier, a soldier to Mr. Roman." I say, losing the softness to my voice as Roman gives me a warning look.

"No, you're not! There's no war, you aren't Mulan!" Ansley sasses, putting her tiny hands on my hands to push them away from her.

My face cuts off any emotion trying to succeed it's way through my hard exterior as my chest aches from the action.

"Lo siento, mi bebé. But I am telling the truth. We aren't going home."