Chapter Fourty-Five

Too much can happen in the span of 5 years and 6 months

Too much can happen in the span of 5 years and 6 months. The apocalypse or a meteoroid slamming into the earth, killing millions, if not billions.

The worlds a dangerous place. It doesn't intend to change and it isn't going too. We keep what's ours safe. Safety is stability.

Expect now, I don't need to worry about what I used too. I don't worry about fighting, guns, him. Now, I worry about if my son had a good day at school. I worry if my daughter ate too much sugar. I worry if the love of my life is overworking himself.

Who would've thought this?

"Mami! Daddy! Wake up!"

I groan, moving to my back but putting a hand over my eyes to block the light.

"Mami!" Ansley groans, straddling my stomach.

"Baby, please. It's too early for the screaming." I hear Roman groan as the bed shuffles slightly, probably him trying to get away from her.

"It's my birthday!" She squeals, as I open my eyes. She sits on me but her head rests on Roman's shoulder.

My baby is turning six. We started off with a rough start before it hit rock bottom, only for it to go up then hit rock bottom again. Now there's only one way; up.

I'll cry about it later.

"I know. How old are you now?" I ask, rubbing my eyes. Her crazy curly, dark brown hair sits in one big rats nest at the top of her head as her dark brown eyes shine bright with excitement.

"6!" She giggles.

"Are you sure?" Roman asks, taking his head out of the pillow. Fresh pillow makes indents on his face.

"Duh! I think I know my age, silly." She rolls her eyes.

"Who are you rolling your eyes at?" He asks before he quickly grabs her, tickling her sides as she squirms and screams.

I can't help but sit back and watch. Five years of taking care of her on my own. Five years of giving her nearly everything I had just for one good day for her, and now I have more than enough to give to her.

Her daddy, her brother, a safe place to call home. That's all I wanted for her.

"What's with all the screaming?" Luis asks as he comes into our room, rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand.

"Lulu! It's my birthday!" Ansley says, finally getting away from Roman and standing on the bed.

"Okay? You're what, three?" He asks, scratching his chin.

"I am not three!" She yells before looking towards me. "Do I look like I'm three, Mami?" She whispers.

"Of course not, my baby. You don't look a day younger than six." I smile gently towards her.

"Ha!" She yells at Luis.

I watch as Luis rolls his eyes before walking back out of my room but not without Ansley running behind him. I can hear her screaming at him and his mumbles.

"Good morning, mama." Roman mumbles as he tucks his head back into my neck, wrapping a heavy arm around my waist.

"She's six." I whisper in disbelief.

"I know." He mumbles, a hand rubbing my sides.

I would have never thought that I'd get to a place like this. I never thought we'd make it to her first birthday and yet, here she is turning six. Words do not describe what I feel.

I sigh as I tap Roman's shoulder to get him to roll off of me, which he does, giving me a quick kiss before getting comfortable again.

I lazily throw the comforter off of me before sitting up as I hear the pitter-patter of Ansley's feet running.

"Te he dicho que no corras." I warn as she skirts to a stop in the doorway.
(I've told you not to run.)

"Lo siento, mami." She pouts but it quickly vanished into a large smile.
(I'm sorry, Mami.)

"You hungry?" I ask, grabbing her hand and walking down our hall. Hearing Luis walk behind me and into my bedroom with Roman.

I almost turn around to watch them. It's so strange but so warm, watching Roman and Luis interact with each other. Roman has really taken Luis under his wing and treats him almost like he does Ansley. Except, no one can replace his princess.

"Happy birthday, you little rat!" Tanner says, messing with her hair before he takes a seat at the table.

"Shit, you're like 80 now." Ralph says before his eyes widen.

"Yes! Another present for me!" Ansley screams before she takes a seat beside me as a tower of pancakes sits in front of her.

"Happy birthday, my baby." I whisper to her as I kiss the side of her head.

"Thank you, Mami."
———————————————————————
"I have a birthday present for you."

Ansley takes a seat on my bed with a wide smile and her hands out. Roman sits beside me with an arm wrapped around me, looking at me with so much love in his eyes, I almost don't believe it. Luis sits beside Ansley, looking mildly confused.

"Close your eyes." I whisper, seeing her do what I say as her body wiggles with excitement.

I place the stick in her hands before she opens her eyes and looks at it weirdly. I hear Luis take a sharp breathe.

"What is this?" She asks, tilting her head as she looks between Roman and I.

"You know, how you wanted a baby brother or sister?" I ask, gaining a nod. "Well, the fairy put one in Mami's tummy just for your birthday."

"Oh my god!" She gasps with wide eyes. "Oh my god! Are you lying? That's not nice to lie to the birthday girl! This is real!" She squeals, going through a couple different emotions in the past few seconds.

"It's real, baby." Roman smiles before kissing my head.

She giggles before giving me a tight hug, kissing my flat stomach, then running off with the pregnancy test to go show Ralph and Tanner.

"You're pregnant?" Luis almost whispers.

"Yes, I know this is all new to you but I want you to know, that I'm still here with you. Nothing is going to change." I tell him, putting a hand on top of his.

"Well, besides the crying baby. That's going to change." Roman says, chuckling slightly.

"Okay." Luis blows air out before he shudders with a look of disgust. "Ew, please don't touch me until I can think of something other than what y'all had to do."

I laugh as Luis walks out of the room with the look of disgust still on his face.

"How are you feeling?" Roman asks, pulling me closer to him.

"I'm happy." I whisper, laying my head back with closed eyes.

No matter how much I thought about ending my life. No matter how many times I've lost everything. Nothing compares to today. Happiness comes to those who wait. I waited.

I'm happy.