Chapter Nineteen

Sometimes I wonder how my life got to the way it is right now

Sometimes I wonder how my life got to the way it is right now. How did I manage to get here? What did I do to make this happen?

Roman tilts my head further back as my hands desperately grab his shirt to pull him closer to me as our lips clasp together.

We're in his office because that's where we can be along even if it is just for five minutes. I don't want Ansley to know about us (if there even is an us) just yet because then she'd jump to conclusions about god knows what.

I don't know what to do but I enjoy and I mean really enjoy, kissing and being with Roman. I don't know what his intentions are. He said that he'd be there for me but I have my daughter and my daughter is my life.

If she isn't happy, neither am I and if she has a problem with what I am doing, I will put a stop to it for her.

I've spent her whole life making sure she is safe and as happy as I could make her, being here has definitely helped but I was her main source for so long, I don't know what else to do with my life now that she has other people.

Roman pulls away, cupping my face in his hands to make sure I'm looking at him. "What's wrong, mama?" He asks, furrowing his eyebrows.

"I-" Sighing, I push him away and get off of his desk. "I just don't like texting Alejandro. The texts are just so much." I half lie.

I cut that part of my life off for so long, just for it to reopen and haunt me. I haven't been able to pick up my own daughter from school since I started to text him. Roman is afraid that something would happen so he's been going or Ralph and Tanner.

He sighs, pushing his front to my back so that his arms wrap around my body as he tucks his face into my neck.

"I know, it'll be over soon. I'm waiting for him to make a move. He hasn't even asked to meet, I don't know what's running through his head." Roman says, kissing my neck.

"He's waiting for me to ask but I can't, Roman. Texting him has already, just-" I sigh aggravated. I can't even talk about what I'm feeling, not when I was forced into not feeling for my entire life.

I remember when I figured out I was pregnant, that was the first time I cried in five years and I cried to Alejandro because I had this feeling that she would save me and she did.

"It's okay, we'll give it a few more days until we make a move forward. Don't worry about that right now, you and Ansley are safe." He reassures me.

For how long though?
———————————————————————
I sigh as the hot water relaxes all of my stiff muscles. I've been pushing myself to get stronger and better so that I'm prepared for whatever happens next.

I need to be ready in case something happens and I'll be needed to have my a-game at any moment.

"Mami?" Ansley pokes her head into the bathroom before walking further in when she sees me.

"Hey, baby. You want to take a bath with me?" I ask, knowing I haven't been able to spend as much time with her alone.

She nods before she's removing her clothes quickly. She makes a dramatic show of chattering her teeth before I help her into the bathtub.

"Tell me what's been happening at school." I say, giving her an encouraging smile.

"Well I have a lot of friends, they fight over who gets to sit beside me!" She giggles before her face turns red. "I think Josh like me." She whispers into the silent room.

"Do you like Josh?" I ask, knowing this is a kindergarten relationship and will probably get forgotten about in a month or so. It's so cute to watch my baby get her first crush.

"Maybe. Sawyer doesn't like Josh being around me though." Ansley shrugs, playing with the water.

"Why do you think that?" I run my fingers through her hair as I ask.

"I don't know because he's mean to me. He makes fun of my hair and eyes and he keeps calling me 'tiny' but I'm not that tiny. Am I, Mami?" She asks, looking at me with her big puppy eyes.

"Of course not. Maybe he does like you, remember how I told you about how other people don't react properly with feelings?"

She nods, looking at me as if she's hanging onto every word I'm saying, making me smile. I love having these types of talks with her.

"That might be the only way he can express himself to you." I tell her, watching as she nods in understanding.

My baby is already breaking hearts, super excited for when she's a teenager. Hear the sarcasm?

"That's weird." She scrunches her nose.

I nod in agreement.
———————————————————————
"Roman!"

"Careful, baby." I yell after her as she runs towards Roman. I watch as he picks her up the moment she gets to him.

"You're driving your Mami crazy, aren't you?" He asks, poking at her side, making Ansley laugh.

"Nu-uh! Look at my hair, Mami made me take a bath with her and she said it was so long! I'm going to be like repunzel!" Ansley exclaims, holding a piece of her hair.

Man, does she overshare.

Roman hums but looks at me, licking his lips at the sight of my wet hair before trailing his eyes down my body as if I'm wearing the most sexiest dress he's ever seen. I'm wearing a random shirt I found and some shorts.

"Your hair is quite long, baby." He tells her while I walk closer to them.

"I want my hair to be as long as Mami's! It's so soft!" Ansley says, touching my hair.

"Really?" Roman entertains her words, smiling slightly.

"Mhm! Touch it!" She says, pulling my hair closer to his face before brushing the ends on his cheek. He chuckles while letting her do it.

"Mm, very soft. Do you know where Ralphy and Tanner is?" Roman asks, watching as she turns her head to find them.

"No." She says with furrowed eyebrows and pursing her lips when she can't see them.

"How about you go look for them? They might be in the living room." He tells her before letting her down.

She nods and gives Roman a messy salute before running off. I smile, watching her run away like her life depends on it.

"You look beautiful." He mumbles, pulling me closer with a tug of my shirt.

I press my lips together to hide my smile. "Thank you. Did you just come back from something?" I ask, looking at his suit.

"Yeah, there was something wrong with one of my hotels but I handled it." He tells me, pushing his face into my neck as I arch into him.

"Damn, you just can't catch a break. Can you?" I chuckle, running my fingers through his dark hair.

"Only when I'm with you." He says, kissing my neck before kissing my cheek then pecking my lips.

"How charming." I point out, making him chuckle before his lips cover mine.

God, I love his lips.