Chapter Forty-One

Ansley is home but for some reason, I can't shake this feeling of doom

Ansley is home but for some reason, I can't shake this feeling of doom. It feels as though she is home but something bad is going to happen. Roman has assured me that nothing is going to happen and he's probably right but that hole in my chest still hasn't closed.

I mean, I 'buried' her but she's right in front of me. I don't know if I'm continuing to mourn or if I'm healing from the trauma. All I know is this gaping hole in my chest keeps stealing any air entering my body.

"Mami?"

"Yes, my baby." I whisper, turning my head downward so I could look at her.

"Why are you still sad? Did you not miss me?" She asks shyly as I watch her eyes rim with redness.

"Of course I did, Ansley. Don't you for a second think I didn't miss you." I say defensively before i try to sigh away the tension. "It's just been hard, baby." I tell her as I rub my hand on the back of her head before tucking her into my chest.

She's safe in my arms.

I keep repeating it in my head but I need to change. She's going to want things- want to leave with me and I'm still not able to walk outside. I've changed so much because of her. I was nothing when she was born and she gave my life. I changed to be strong for her. When I thought she died, I changed to be nothing once more. It'll be something I have to relearn for her.

She's still too young to understand the days I won't be able to get out of bed, I'll have to get out of bed. She won't understand why I don't go into the gym, especially since I went the gym at least once a day.

She was having fun while I was... I don't even think there is a word for it.

Roman walks into our room, giving me a look before going to the bathroom. It's almost like I know what's going to happen.

"Go find Luis for me, you guys need to spend time together." I tell her, kissing her forehead before she hops out of the room. My anxiety heightens but I know there is people everywhere. Our people.

Still doesn't change anything.

"It's been a week, Jasmine. She's home. Nothing like that will ever happen again." Roman says, making me look away from the door Ansley just walked out of.

"I know that." I sigh, running a hand through my hair as I get off the bed.

"Do you? Because this isn't healthy for you and it's sure as hell not healthy for her. She doesn't know what we went through and it should stay that way. Knowing her, she'll think it's her fault." He says as he crosses his arms over his chest and leans on the doorframe.

"Please, stop." I whisper, focusing on the blanket I'm putting on the bed.

"What happen was something you should've never gone through but it happened and instead of staying this way, you should be with your daughter. She's here. She's in your arms, so why do you keep mourning her?" His eyebrows scrunch together as he stares at me but I don't look at him.

"Roman, I don't want to talk about it." I tell him but when does he ever listen.

"That's too bad, you are going to miss out on everything because of this." He's trying to keep himself from raising his voice, I can tell but maybe that's what I need or maybe, I just want an excuse to walk away.

"Like what?"

"Her birthday is in two months. Did you know that?" He spits, making me freeze. I count the days and months in my head before I realize he's right. I have to take a seat on the bed from the pain in my chest.

"I don't know what I'm doing." I whisper, rubbing my chest.

"Jasmine, I love you but this needs to be worked on. We keep going, we don't stay in the same place. Let me help you or get Tanner too or go see a professional." He walks around the bed so that he could stand in front of me before crouching and grabbing my hands.

"We keep going, we do not stay in the same place." He repeats before kissing my hands.

I nod.
———————————————————————
My jaw rolls as I stare at the door in front of me. The many possibilities behind it, too many possibilities behind it. What will this mean when I walk inside? What will happen?

I clench my shaking hands before raising one to the doorknob, not thinking about it anymore as I take a large, rushed step inside of the gym.

My eyes bounce around the large room as if I've never been inside of it before. Has it always been this loud in here?

"Ay! Jasmine, you coming to spar?" A large man shouts from the ring.

I start to shake my head but then I remember why I'm doing this, why I'm getting better; Ansley. All I do is for my family.

I nod and take the baggy shirt off, pulling my hair up as I walk towards the ring. I can't shake off the feeling of being watched, except it's not a feeling. People are watching me. What are they thinking? Do they know I haven't been in this gym since Ansley was taken? Are they judging me? Are they calling me weak?

I pull myself up and immediately get into position as he does the same. I focus on my breathing, it's already so harsh and I haven't done anything yet.

I'm so focused on my breathing that I missed the foot swinging to my side. I immediately gasp and stumble to the ground, holding my side. I blink desperately to get rid of the tears filling my eyes as the man steps back and waits patiently for me to get back on my feet, which I do begrudgingly.

I get back into position before he swings his fist but I block it and bring my foot to his side while throwing his fist away from me so I could sneak in a sly left hook.

I take a couple steps back as he groans and recovers. I can't tell if I'm nervous or not, do I really remember everything I learned over the years or will I freeze up?

What I did must've pissed him off because next thing I know he's charging at me like a damn bull. I easily sidestep him while turning up my foot so he would trip. The moment he was on the ground, I was straddling his hips, locking my legs around his so they couldn't move as I punch carelessly.

His hip bucks but I keep my grip strong, I need too. I need too have a strong grip so I can do better; so I can win the fight, so I can walk out of here better.

So I can do better for Ansley, Luis, and Roman.

I keep punching until the guy finally raises his hands in surrender, showing that he is done. I quickly fall to the floor, laying limply as I catch my breath.

I've got to do better. I've got to get better.