Vector

You were busy.

The kind of busyness that left a heavy ache across your shoulders and at the base of your cervical vertebrae, like you were carrying the weight of the word on top of your head, but couldn't bow under it. You still had to keep your shoulders back and your head up. The tension ached though.

You couldn't deny that with the daycare, Moon's virus, running the internship program, lobbying for sentient android rights, going to school, and now trying to plan a secret proposal without your boyfriends getting worried about you. It was exhausting. There was really just one person you could talk to about it, with your sister being busy herself with a young baby, and taking Conner to Speech and Occupational therapy.

You felt like a bad sister when she had first told you that he was doing well with his speech therapist. You didn't know when that started or how long he had needed it, but Stacy said she never brought it up because she had it handled and you stayed busy. You were never too busy for her though, which was your five hundredth hint that you had a tendency to push yourself too hard when people needed you.

The only person you could talk to about the surprise proposal was Lily. She was just unusually tense about the whole thing.

"But...look little bit, I understand okay, but...its not like you can actually get married to them, so what's even the point in proposing?" She asked, sounding almost bitter, like maybe she had put a lot of thought into it and decided that there was no hope.

"We can't get married, right now...besides we technically kinda could. We could have a ceremony, it just wouldn't be legally acknowledged by the state...besides, even if they were human I wouldn't be able to marry both of them and have it be upheld by the state." You admitted solemnly, because you had thought about it too. You wouldn't be able to have a lot of things with them; no white picket fence, no white wedding, no normal suburban life, and thank fuck for that. The things you would have outweighed anything that you couldn't.

You could take care of the kids with them, when that wouldn't have been an option before. You could have dinner with them after work, you could go out with friends without them being upset and feeling neglected. You could pursue your own interests and they would support you and even be proud of you. You were getting way more than boring normality from them.

"And besides that," You continued, "It's not about whether the government will let us get married. It's about...letting him know that I want to. That I want to spend my life with them, even if it isn't like...tax breaks and filing jointly or whatever."

"...alright fine, but you gotta tell me again what am I supposed to do?"

"The rings will be ready in a few days. I had custom pieces made so that they could both fit on their left ring finger. Once they're ready I'm going to decorate their room after hours, the way they did for me on our first date. It's going to take hours though, so if they get out of their parts and services appointment before I'm done then I need you to distract them, until I give you the go ahead." You explained, smiling shyly from across the cafeteria table.

"Yeah, I can do that. Do you need any help with decorating?" Lily asked, shoveling the rest of her pizza into her mouth after she checked her watch, prompting you to stand and start walking as you talked.

"I was hoping Chica and Roxanne would be able to meet me in the tunnels and help me carry the boxes in. I've been making all the flowers and stuff for weeks and putting them in boxes in my car." You replied, thinking of the past few nights, you had stayed at your apartment for a few days so that you could stay up relatively late and mindlessly made paper flowers while letting the tv fill the quiet without really watching whatever was playing on the screen.