Chapter 13 [Meeting His Family]

(Copyright) © 2011 Candle_Ice

* * * * *

A/N: [Picture of Ed Westwick as Prince Stefanos at the side!]

Chapter 13

Her hands were freezing cold. Leonidas smiled when he reached for her hands and she grabbed hold of his in a death grip, like a life line. 

Stefanos and Ariel were chatting away with each other when they arrived at the palace. When the two saw them, Ariel quickly ran up to Elise and pulled her into a tight embrace, cutting off the curtsy she was about to do. Still Elise held onto Leonidas' hand. 

"Oh! It's a pleasure to finally meet you. I would love to say Leonidas told us all about you, but unfortunately, my big brother has been nothing but sealed lips. All I know is that you two met over the internet," Princess Ariel said to her, smiling, and still hugging her, "I must know all the details. It's such a modern day romantic cliché: meeting in a chat room. And, surely--"

"Ari, perhaps you should let her go first before you bombard her with questions!" Stefanos interrupted, whilst coming up to them. 

Still smiling Ariel released Elise, so she was able to face the young Prince.

"Your Highness," Elise said curtsying to him.

"Elise," he said and bent his head in a gesture of respect, "Forgive our little sister, she has the usual knack of a typical 18 year old girl who can talk the bark off a tree."

"Oh you!" Ariel retorted, hitting him on the shoulder in a friendly and familiar gesture.

She then grabbed Elise and pulled her towards the Queen's sitting area, breaking the hold on Leonidas' hand.

"She's going give the poor girl a head ache!" Stefanos told his brother when the two were alone.

Laughing a little, Leonidas looked over to where the two girls were now sitting, and watched as his sister fired away question after question, not allowing Elise to get a word in. But she didn't seem to mind, if the smile on her face was any indication. Her shoulders visibly relaxed and he was sure she was getting more and more comfortable with his sibling. Hopefully the feeling remained when his parents came into the picture. Speaking of his parents-

"Where are mom and dad?"

"In a meeting with the Royal Council, they said they'd be here soon, though," Stefanos told him. Stealing a glance at his older brother, he continued to say, "Sorry about grandfather's newest scheme. Sucks to be you, man!"

Seeing him ball his fists painfully, Stefanos quickly held up his hands in defense, "Look bro, I'm sorry. I didn't mean hit a nerve."

"It's not you. It's Erland and his stupid decree.” Leonidas seethed.

“Erland is always targeting you, but you never allowed him to win. And I know for sure you’ll do the same this time,” he said sincerely.

“Yeah, I’m a walking bull’s eye to him because I’m first born.”

“No Leonidas,” Stefanos looked at him square in the eyes, “You’re his target because you’re stronger than all of us, even dad, and to break your spirit would be a great achievement in his sadistic mind. Dad bent to his bidding when he was younger, but you never fell into his command. That pisses him off.”

Leonidas never thought about it that way. But now that Stefanos mentioned it, he was certain that was it. His Royal Elder thrived on making others suffer, and have everyone under his will. Closing his eyes, Leonidas willed himself to remain calm; giving in to his rising anger would only make him cranky with the evening’s proceedings.