Chapter 29 [The Third Wheel]

(Copyright) © 2011 Candle_Ice

* * * * *

[A/N: Unedited! I only proof read this once, so there is a 99.9 % chance I missed a lot of typos and grammatical errors ...will get them all later.. plz ignore for now =) Thanks!]

Chapter 29

Leonidas was fairly certain of a lot of things; and fairly uncertain about a lot of other things as well.

Life was full of these uncertainties, but that didn’t mean he had to like them; especially when they concerned his feelings, and accompanied every single one of his certainties.

For instance, he was certain he liked Elise. What he was uncertain about, was whether or not he was already in love with her. That was a foreign feeling he had no wish to examine at the moment. The internal debate of that issue had him spinning in circles, and a Prince does not spin around in circles!

He was also certain he was going to ask her to marry him, eventually. He just had to show her that though she’ll be a Princess bride, her goals can still be achieved, and that she can still graduate from university. How he’ll achieve that, on the other hand, was an uncertainty.

Like he said, he was certain of some things and other things… not so much.

Being a member of the Royal family was much more that glitz and glamour, especially when you’re King and Queen. The entire country will be their responsibility and everyone will look to them for guidance in many areas.

He was certain Elise had the ability to be his perfect companion on the throne. She was young, but he was also certain that with the aid of his mother, she’ll be guided along the right path of what to expect on the journey as Queen.

His uncertainty to accompany that certainty: Whether or not she’ll still want to stick around after she’s fully introduced to the responsibilities that being the Queen entails; the ‘Royal Do’s and Don’ts’ as his mother calls it.

Queen Lucilla was around the same age as Elise when she began to take on Royal Duties, so Leonidas was certain that Elise can pull it off. She was strong and determined, just like his mother.

But then again, Lucilla had been around the Royal family her whole life. Elise was somewhat new to the Royal scene. Hence, his uncertainty on how she’ll cope.

He was giving himself a headache going back and forth with all these ‘certain/uncertain’ thoughts.

One thing was for certain though, (and without any uncertainty, thank heavens!) Elise was waiting for him in the Queen’s day room. 

They had hardly spoken since the polo match, four days ago, and he thought it was about time she had an education in royalties past, by showing her the palace’s room of portraits from Kings and Queens long gone, and telling her a bit about the protocol of it all. Plus, he’ll be able to spend some alone time with her, which seems to be a rarity, seeing as Accra monopolises much of Elise’s free time these days.  

So much so, that Leonidas was only half surprised to see his grandmother chatting away with Elise as she waited for him. The two were standing by the window, engrossed in their conversation, and laughing softly, that he was halfway in the room before they were aware of his presence.

“Hello grandmother, glad to see you’ve kept Ellie’s company as she waited for me,” Leonidas said to them, as he came up and wrapped an arm around Elise’s middle.

“No bother, grandson,” Accra smiled knowingly.

Accra was very much aware of the fact that Leonidas was getting wary of how she was dominating Elise’s company of lately. The thought had her smiling broadly. She was getting a Royal wedding sooner, rather than later, by any means necessary. And keeping a close eye on the Royal Couple was the ideal way of assuring this!