Chapter 13.5 [a Slight Case of Melancholy]

(Copyright) © 2011 Candle_Ice

* * * * *

A/N [Picture of John Larroquette as Randolph van Hastening at the side ] 

Chapter 13.5

The last person Randolph van Hastening ever expected to meet in person was the Crown Prince.

Then his daughter, his little girl, started dating the Crown Prince. Now not only did he meet said Prince, he and his family were to meet with the Prince's family.  

That much was expected when two young people decide that they 'may' get married, heavy on the 'may'. Randolph had not yet come to terms with the fact that his first daughter was dating. He always knew the day would come when he could no longer hold onto her, but he had managed to get by because Elise never really dated much. She'd had a boyfriend in high school, but that lasted a week, and, to her father's utter pleasure, swore off relationships until after university due to the trouble she proclaimed it was to be in a high school relationship. 

He'd always figure the guy would be someone who shared the same goals as her and aid her in her dreams of a bright political future, but a guy she met when she was say 30? Or maybe 35? Wishful thinking! 

And he was right in a way. How much more support and guidance can you ask for than the Crown Prince?

When Elise returned from her visit with the King and Queen, he saw the admiration there. Not for rank or position. Admiration that they may very well be her family; they are people who she can feel at ease with. Whenever she mentioned Leonidas' name, her eyes lit up brighter and she rubbed her left hand over her right one. 

Before she knew who her chat mate was, Randolph knew she was heading towards a relationship. He'd half hope that when she actually met the guy, she didn't like him. But his daughter was never one to take anyone at face value! The only persons she ever judged before meeting them were politicians and the Crown Prince. She always thought that his good lucks hid his lack of a brain.

There again there was no such luck, as not only was the Prince handsome, she talked to him and found out more about the man behind the media's mask.

When he came over to dinner he had interrogated him like if he was on the stand for committing a crime, but the young lad had held his ground and there was nothing Randolph could find to fault him, and he was looking very hard!

He could hardly believe anyone was worthy enough of her, but he was overruled. Leonidas was exactly the type of guy every father would love to have for his daughter, putting aside the fact that he was a Prince. 

And she was halfway in love with him already. And after tonight, he was convinced she plunged head first into that whole pool, and there was no turning back, even if she admitted it or not. 

Karin had asked her if she loved him. But she denied, saying it was too soon, but Randolph knew his Elise, and he knew love. And the look in her eyes shined brightly with the beginning of a love story. Or maybe the love story had already begun? Who knows? All he knew, his little girl was no longer his... 

As long as she was happy he would be too, he surmised, even if it meant that he was losing his little girl before he was ready to. 

He looked around his office and started laughing. He left the house a little after Elise had returned home and told of her visit with the royal family. Helena and Karin, the ever romantics, were hanging onto her every word. Randolph had listened some and then escaped to his town office feigning work. 

Pathetic! He, the big shot lawyer, who was accustomed to putting drug lords, murderers, rapists and embezzlers behind bars, cannot bear the thought of his daughter being married. He had no problem when his two eldest sons moved out, but almost cried his eyeballs out with the possibility of his daughter leaving. 

He suspected that's how Mr. Bennett felt when he was faced with parting with his dearest Lizzie to Mr. Darcy. He could not have parted with her for any one less worthy. And by the looks of it, he'll have to part with her soon.