Chapter 28 [The Royal Girlfriend]

(Copyright) © 2011 Candle_Ice

* * * * *

Chapter 28

“Would you stop worrying, the guy is not going to propose today,” Tatiana impatiently hissed at Elise, who was worrying up a storm.

“You don’t know that for sure,” Elise pointed out in a hushed tone.

“Look around you, Ellie,” Tatiana used her hand to indicate their surroundings, also whispering, “We’re at a polo match. Where exactly do you think he’s hiding an engagement ring? Can’t be in his clothes, because, news flash, he’s wearing jodhpurs that plaster to his body. A ring box would not be easily hidden on his person.”

“He could have hidden it in the dressing room,” Elise countered with a whisper.

“Okay, you are officially paranoid, and were it not for the fact that all eyes are on you, I’d hit you upside the head,” Tatiana sassed softly, “Now relax and smile. Your boyfriend, the Prince, is playing, but everyone is looking at you. So stop worrying and give the people a smile.”

Elise did a quick survey of the grounds, and saw that her friend was right; all eyes or binoculars were pointed in her direction. Feeling a bit self conscious, she turned her worried face into a smile, and began to relax somewhat, though she was still worried about Leonidas proposing.

They were in the Royal box with the King, Queen, Ariel and Accra, enjoying the match, while Stefanos, Thane and Leonidas were on the field playing. Elise tried to concentrate on the match, but her thoughts were distracting her.

Ever since Helena had mentioned the word ‘proposal’ yesterday, she was on high alert. She had spent the day deliberating and wondering, to the extent that Tatiana almost hit her to get her to calm down. Being the best friend, she was no doubt the ears to all of Elise’s ramblings, but there was only so much a girl could take before she loses her mind!

“Did you see that?” Tatiana asked her, binoculars by her eyes.

“See what?” Elise said, placing her binoculars to her eyes as well.

“Stefanos just fell off his horse,” Tatiana laughed.

“Oh my, I hope he’s not hurt,” Elise worried, as she watched him get up and try to settle his horse.

“He’s a tough guy,” Accra answered to her left, “Plus, he’s got a hard head, so I doubt he’s actually hurt.”

“Probably just his pride was hurt,” Tatiana murmured so only Elise could hear.

Elise smiled a little, but her face must have given Accra inkling that she was worried about something.

“What’s wrong?” Accra asked her.

“Nothing,” she answered.

“Something’s wrong,” Accra countered.

“I assure you nothing’s--”

“She’s worried sick about when Leonidas will propose,” Tatiana injected.

She threw her friend a glare, before facing Accra.

“I’m just anxious, a little. I’m not worried sick,” Elise assured her.

“I am,” Accra told her, “Jeez, the boy is taking forever, if you ask me. If it were up to me, he’d have proposed today. But nnooooo, Prince Charming here wants to wait a while, and not rush things.”

Elise smiled at the snarl Accra gave out as she glared daggers at the field, before donning her binoculars as well.

“See,” Tatiana leaned into her and whispered, “Now, stop worrying and relax.”

Elise was able to visibly relax at Accra’s words; but not for long. She saw Leonidas making his way from the center of the field, over towards their box. Of course, her heart was thumping very fast.

The other players were taking a breather, as Stefanos was still calming his horse and recovering from his fall, but no one paid attention to them. All focus was on the Prince’s horse moving towards the Royal box.

Both Accra and Tatiana, who sat on either side of Elise, placed a hand behind her back and pushed her up towards the railing to meet him as he came closer.

Elise stumbled a little, but thankfully, she didn’t fall, as she met him at the rails. With him on the horse, and her standing in the box, they were eye to eye.

“Enjoying the game?” he asked her with a smile.

“Yes, why wouldn’t I be?” she responded lightly.

“You looked worried, is all.”

“And you can see my expressions from the center field?” Elise asked him doubtfully.

“I can,” he said with a smile, “when the screen above the box, which is supposed to be showing the game in progress, is instead, most of the time, focused on you.”

“You’re kidding?” Elise ventured, completely taken aback by this.

“No,” Leonidas said genuinely, “No one is even concentrating on the game. They’re mainly paying attention to you, and you look so worried.”

“I’m fine,” she replied, not really feeling fine though, “Everyone’s really looking at me?”

“Everyone, even the two umpires and the referee apparently, as no one saw the foul on Stefanos,” Leonidas related to her.

“Oh gee, that is bad. Poor Stefanos. I’m sorry for attracting all that attention,” Elise said. If she was feeling self conscious before, it was way past that now.

Leonidas laughed in response, “Like you can help it. Better get used to it, Royal Girlfriend; you’re the golden girl now. Everyone wants to know you.”

“I’d much rather they not stare at me, though,” Elise confessed.

“They’re not staring to be rude,” Leonidas assured her, “They’re trying to copy you by looking at you to memorise every detail. By tomorrow, everyone would have a style copied off of yours.”

Elise paid a glance at her zebra print styled, black and white wrap dress that fell two inches above the knee, and wondered if they were really trying to copy it, or criticise it. [[[A/N: Pic at the side ...u know I suck at description=)]]]

“You look beautiful, so stop worrying,” Leonidas told her, sensing her concern by her glance at her attire.

“I’m not worried,” Elise fibbed.

“Of course you aren’t,” he countered with a knowing smile, “Now give me a smile for good luck, I have to get back to the game.”

She gave him a genuine, big smile.

“Much better, now keep smiling and stop worrying,” Leonidas said to her and leaned forward to give her a light peck on the cheek. The sound of flashing cameras, barely registered in her mind, as she smiled back at him, touched by his gesture.

“For luck,” he whispered, before turning and heading back to his game.

After that, Elise didn’t have to remember to smile; she kept a small smile on her face for the rest of match. All thoughts of proposals, people staring and photographs being taken fled from her mind, as she watched her prince charming win his polo match.