Chapter 25 [Erland's Visitor]

(Copyright) © 2011 Candle_Ice

* * * * *

  [Shout out to @crazychik for super cute fan art/pic at the side! =)] 

Chapter 25 

“Well, well, aren’t you the epitome of a fallen man?” Accra asked as she made her way into Erland’s space.

Grisham had him confined to a small cabin on the palace grounds, and no one is paying attention to him. He must be blooming mad! Accra thought with a satisfactory smile.

“Ah, if isn’t my wife,” Erland smiled bitterly, “what a pleasure it is to see you.”

“Wish I can say the same at seeing you,” she returned in the same tone.

“Watch it Accra, I am still your husband, and old King, as such you owe me some respect,” Erland sneered at her.

“Husband?” Accra mocked, “You may still be my husband on paper, but trust me; you are not any husband to me. You’re just some bastard who killed my daughter and tried to ruin my son and grandson’s life.”

Erland’s face contorted with a grimace. Not because of her reminding him of her daughter, but because he failed in ruining both his son and Leonidas’ life.

Accra smiled, truly overjoyed by his failure. She sat down on one of the easy chairs, and just rested back looking at him; feeling at home and comfortable for once, around him.

“Oh don’t mind me, I’m just here to gloat,” Accra smiled at him.

“Your tongue is rather light these days,” Erland accused, “Do I have to remind you of my rank, and command your respect?”

The smile left Accra’s face to be replaced by cold, hard fury. She stood up and got right in his face, sticking her nose right in his personal space.

“I’m not afraid of you anymore,” she snarled at him, “I have nothing to lose in goading you, and a lot to gain. So don’t tempt me Erland, I can be as heartless as you if pushed too far.”

Erland pushed her away from him, and made to slap her, but she caught his hand before it could make contact with her cheek. His eyes were a dark shade of rage at having been denied the gratification of hitting her.

But his look was nothing compared to the fury building inside of Accra. For years she was suppressed by his rule as both King and her husband, and she’d be damned if she ever allow herself to go back to that time.

“Don’t tempt me Erland,” she repeated again, still holding his hand in a dead grip, “The only thing keeping me from killing you right now is the fact that if you died, the entire kingdom would have to go into mourning; mourning ‘poor old Royal Elder Erland’. And a Royal Wedding cannot occur when the Kingdom is in mourning.”

She thrust his hand away from her, and went back to her seat and again took up the position she had earlier, regarding him now though with fury rather than humour.

“Besides, black doesn’t flatter me,” she told him lightly, in total contrast to her dark mood.

At the mention of ‘Royal Wedding’ Erland’s ire raised to a new height, and seeing as she’s been with him for a long time, Accra could sense his mood almost as if she was feeling it herself. She smiled inwardly. It was almost sadistic of her to feel pleasure at another’s pain, but she was certain that God would forgive her, seeing as the person suffering was her dear, old husband. She always shuddered whenever she thought of Erland as her husband, a feeling of icy cold dread always swept through her body, but she had had years to get over her mistakes, and though she’s never really gotten over the death of her daughter, with Grisham and Lucilla’s help, she was able to move past the hurt and live again for her grandchildren.