Chapter 16.5 [Explanation about Leah]

(Copyright) © 2011 Candle_Ice

* * * * *

[A/N] I choose an actor to play King Grisham.. Pierce Brosnan ..<3 ... i know what u're thinking: James Bond! but don't think about Bond.. Think MAMMA MIA!!!  =D 

~~~

Chapter 16.5

His Royal Elder Erland was nowhere to be seen. And considering it was his ball and he liked to be the center of attention, his absence worried King Grisham. 

Leonidas had told him of the run in with Catalina, and Grisham was pleased that the young lady was not a part of his father's scheme. Standing by his window in his office, he stared out at the palace grounds below and the happy atmosphere there. The ball had started a half an hour before and already persons were enjoying themselves. Not him. Fully dressed in his suit and tie, King Grisham was lost in thoughts of the past, not the party below.  

Del Gado. He wondered why the name didn't ring a bell earlier. But then he shouldn't be too surprised, since he tried to block out the memories of his sweet sister's depressed days. 

Demetrius Del Gado, was the Palace's physician for years, and he remembered him from his younger days as a pleasant man, with friendly eyes and had always wanted to know why the man stopped smiling, and couldn't meet Grisham straight in the eyes later on. 

After Leah's diagnosis of depression, Grisham made frequent visits to the man and always tried his best to be there for her appointments. He never figured that his father would stoop so low as to black mail and threaten the doctor to alter his daughter's medicine as a means to control Grisham. 

He always felt guilt, pain, sorrow and anger all at once, whenever he thought of Leah. Guilt because it was his fault, pain because he couldn't prevent it, sorrow because of the pain, and anger because of his father. If he'd never shown any affection towards his sister, Erland would not have viewed her as a pawn to get back at him.

When he was Crown Prince, Grisham did everything his father bid him to do. When he realised his father planned on remaining in control even after he denounced the throne, by making Grisham the public front and him being the one to call the shots from behind, the future King knew it was time to cut his attitude. 

It wasn't until he stopped dancing to Erland's tune, did his evil ways become more overbearing and his tactics changed. When everyone was under his control, and he was able to belittle them, make them squirm, he was happy. With Grisham's rebellion and refusal to continue to bend at his will, Erland decided to make him bend by hurting him. When physical and verbal threats were ignored by Grisham, Erland turned to innocent Leah as a mean to trap his son.

His sister. His sweet, innocent sister. He closed his eyes and he saw her smiling face, calling at him to come play with her. He loved his sister, and the sadistic bastard he had for a father used that brotherly love to manipulate him. Opening his eyes, he felt the sting of tears in his eyes, but he'd never give into them. He was afraid if he did, he would crumble to the ground as the sobs shook his body and he’d never be able to stop as the anguish took hold of him.

Princess Leah was strong. He would be too. No matter how much her father tortured her, she always told Grisham to fight him and not give in. Sometimes he didn't even know half of what she had to endure: the blows she faced, the name calling, the insults, the locking up in the dungeons and many more evil things he couldn't even recall. Even when she hit rock bottom and had to stay on medication to do simple Royal duties to keep up appearances, he didn't give up his torture. 

Grisham never thought in a million years that Erland would have the doctors misdiagnose her tablets. He didn't find out until it was too late and Leah had already dead. And with his father being King, even if he went public with the news it would do no good. 

The revelation would threaten the monarchy and people would lose faith in them. His mother would just die. He knew she blamed herself for Leah's death, but there was nothing she could do. Despite her being Queen and the King's equal, Erland never allowed her to fully exercise that right and abused her also. His mother almost died when Leah did, and thankfully Grisham was able to save her. With his help, the previous Queen decided she had nothing to lose, and fought tooth and nail for Erland to finally relinquish his crown. With Grisham as King, she said all would be well, and Leah would be able to rest in peace. 

He did not know when someone had entered the office until he felt her hands hug him from behind. Placing his hands on her own, he felt it when she tightened her hold, offering him her strength in the gesture. It was almost as if she could read his mind. Sighing, he was thankful for her. Despite all his father did, he was always grateful he chose her as his bride. Probably thought it would annoy him to be married to her, thus, making Erland happy, but Grisham ended up being the happiest one ever.

"Stop beating yourself up. I knew when Leonidas told us about Catie's visit and her relation to Erland that you'd feel guilty over Leah again." Queen Lucilla mumbled into his back.

"I can't help it. If only--"

"If only you what? You hated your sister? Treated her like hell?" Removing her hands from around him, she turned him to face her and put palmed his face with her hands, "Then that would have made you like him! Leah loved you! If you treated her any differently than you did, that would have crushed her! You are not the one to blame. He is. He's the monster. He killed his daughter. He's the one who’s going to rot in hell for all of eternity. Not you! You hear me?"

He heard her. She was his rock. The only one who he ever cried in front of, who shared his grief and shed tears along with his. He was lucky he had her and he only hoped his son would be as lucky with Elise, as he was with his Lucilla.