Chapter 23

♥⁠╣CLAY╠⁠♥

TWO FLICKS AND embers of orange daunted the dark space.

He heard her grunt and as he placed the two rocks on the ground, he smiled.

He had seen and experienced alot of things but with her? The surprises kept on coming. Falling down a hill and plunging into a river were rare things that happened to the one in a million.

Unfortunately for him Brooklyn Konstantinos was the one in a million who were considered accident prone if not unlucky. How else would he explain this?

Naked, starting a fire in the middle of nowhere with no other way out but to sleep in the wild.

"Are you going to be angry all night?" He asked turning to face her only for her to exclaim with a deafening scream,

"Don't look!"

He whipped his head to the fire again with a smile. They had been fighting like these for ten minutes now.

She had removed her wet clothes but heaven forbid he looked at her nakedness. Perched against an old oak tree, her hands to her chest, she was as naked as the day she was born.

While he wasn't that much of a douchebag to attempt anything, he laughed everytime she said something and he looked at her and she screamed at him to look the other side.

"It's nothing I've not seen Brooklyn", he said stoking the fire.

"Maybe but I'd rather get swallowed by a whale than let you see me...like this"

And like this she meant nude.

"We are husband and wife. I believe I have the right to look at you"

He was teasing and he could feel her dagger eyes dig holes in his skull but that's the thing, he just didn't care.

She hated him, they were alone, best to make fun out of it.

"You have the right to nothing!" She hissed.

"So I should have left you to the sharks?"

There were no sharks in that muddy river but she still would have died if not for him.

"If I'm getting this correctly, you saved me because you own me? Wow here I thought you grew a heart and decided to save a damsel in distress"

Her voice dripped sarcasm.

Ironical she presumed he didn't have a heart. Well his bloody heart had gotten him this far with her otherwise he would have turned a blind eye to the fact that some psycho was trying to get rid of her.

But no his heart, the damn thing, had insisted on playing hero and here they were. Like oil and water.

"Can you feel your toes?"

He tried to change the subject.

"Yes"

She was a bad liar.

He had gazed at her from time to time without her catching him and if the goosebumps on her arms didn't say she was cold then the obvious shaking did.

"Move closer to the fire"

"And then what? You'll force yourself on me? No way I'm good"

Her felt his blood rise but he calmed it down with the assumption that she was hungry hence the crankiness.

"If I wanted to fuck you I wouldn't force anything because you'd beg for it yourself"

Silence engulfed the space except for the wood crackling to the heat, the only sound he could hear was that of cicadas chirping.