Chapter 57

๑⁠˙⁠❥⁠˙BROOKE ˙⁠❥⁠˙⁠๑

"NO"

Talking about the past was one thing.

Sharing the bed was one thing.

Getting concerned over his wellbeing was another thing.

But showing him her body was something even she wasn't stupid to try.

Not with that look on his face, she wouldn't and certainly not with how her body was betrayingly seeping to his side of the bed wanting a taste of him again.

Mia's incident was two days ago.

And with her incident came a shift in the dynamics of Brooklyn's household.

Skye the babysitter wasn't needed anymore because Clay Cervantes showed up at her porch at exactly seven a.m. everyday.

At eight thirty a.m, Clay would tug Mia into his car seat before father and daughter strolled out of Brooklyn's driveway.

She and Clay had come to some agreements of the sort. While she was at work, he got to spend time with Mia.

And while he was at it, he sent pictures of Mia in the park, Mia by the swings with a certain dark-haired boy that was a constant in every picture, Mia stuffing her hands in cookie dough while a certain brunette chuckled in the background.

All was well.

Except every time she sat back in her swivel chair, her mind went back to Clay and his Adonis-like face whispering everything he would have done and everything he wanted to do to her if she let him.

Her mind went back to how short of breath she was every time his big pools of blue lingered on her lips a tad too long.

Her mind replayed how empty that morning had felt like when she woke up to a letter next to where Clay had slept.

A letter saying 'he would be back'.

Something he didn't know would haunt her because fate was repeating itself.

She'd get clingy, fall into that maddening love Clay Cervantes brought to the table, get comfortable thinking all was right in the world and before she knew it ugly secrets would pop out of nowhere shattering her again and he would leave.

He would always leave.

Only this time she needed to be strong for her daughter when Clay decided to leave.

"A penny for your thoughts?"

She snapped out of her reverie before the guy in front of her came into sight.

"Carter? Carter?!"

"The one and only"

"Oh my God, when did you get back from Detroit?"

She was out of her seat before the man in the Cesare Attolini suit met her halfway for a hug.

"Yesterday"

"And you are showing up at my office now?"

"Hey I thought of surprising you guys back at the house but no one was home"

Parting from the hug, her butt found the edge of her desk table and she got comfortable on it.

Carter rocked the navy blue suit without necessarily filling it the way Clay could.

Wiat, what? Why was she imagining Clay back in a suit?

"Mia's with her dad", the statement flew out of her a bit too quickly.