Chapter 11

๑⁠˙⁠❥⁠˙BROOKE ˙⁠❥⁠˙⁠๑

TAKE ME TO a literal paradise on earth and shut down, Classic Clay Cervantes.

Her heart rampaged for no discernible reason as Clay drove them back to the hotel. He hadn't said a word since they left Donggung Palace. Some part of her was happy and the other part was...sad to say--worried.

They didn't need to talk but she knew what he did had cost him.

He lost his precious contract.

He would probably get sued come the next morning after beating Kim So Jong to a pulp.

The gruesome image of Clay throwing fist after fist at Kim So Jong made her flinch. The bastard deserved it of course but the look in Clay's eyes was unlike one she'd never seen before.

Guilt.

Rage.

Fierceness.

So many pent up emotions begging to be unleashed and hadn't Mr Park intervened; she was even afraid yo say it; Clay would have killed a man tonight.

Because of her. The irony of the statement humoring her.

The blackmailer defending the blackmailee if that was even a thing.

"Where did you learn to fight like that?" His deep more vibrational voice cut the thick ice between them.

Eyes ahead, jawline set like he was grinding his teeth inside his mouth, he spoke.

"It was hardly a fight. I threw a punch. Big difference", she responded.

She knew how to fight though. Months of training and she was atleast as good as Ronda Rousey. Well, Ronda Rousey might have been an exaggeration but you get the picture.

"You should stick to pepper spray like most women", he threw a jab.

"You should stick to business too. Fighting isn't in your MO"

"He was my business", he retorted coolly, "and for the record, I pretty much won that fight"

It was hardly a fight really, she wanted to say.

She was already threading on thin ice. Losing him that contract was going to cost her and she knew it.

Like the woman Alistair Konstantinos raised, she chose silence as an answer.

The silence they had maintained once more vanished into ether when his phone buzzed against the center console. He picked it up placing it against the dashboard and on loud speaker.

"Park De Yeon hasn't called to withdraw from the contract so that's a good sign. The man you asked me to look into doesn't have much on him but there are some serious illegal shit going on with his tech firm"

"The type of shit to flunk him and his business?" Clay asked.

"Maybe. What do you want me to do?"

She shamelessly eavesdropped, her nerves eating her away. She knew who the said man being talked about was.

"He's going to try to sue me. Best to sink him first before he tries coming after me", Clay said with no hint of remorse whatsoever.

"You sure about that? The type of shit I found could land him twenty years in prison tops. And this is Korea we are talking about so maybe more. Clay sleep on it, maybe he won't sue—"

"Sink him"

Having the final word, he cut the call resorting back to driving as if he'd just talked about having a tea party on the phone and not about landing a man in the slammer.