Chapter 55

๑⁠˙⁠❥⁠˙BROOKE ˙⁠❥⁠˙⁠๑

"ADMIT IT, you missed this", Clint swirled the drink in his glass.

She couldn't help but smile as she glanced at her own glass of red wine, gulping a sip.

"Yelling at a bunch of men old enough to be my father to act cordial? Yeah, I really missed that Clint", her voice was laced with sarcasm.

Her pink toe nails stared right at her and as she leisurely put her legs on her desk, she realized a pedicure was long overdue.

A pedicure. A little shaving perhaps.

"I couldn't have done it without you here. You know that, Brooke"

"Oh I know", she chuckled.

The creases around the edges of Clint Eastwood's eyes couldn't have been bigger as he whooped up a grin.

"What's that look?"

"What look?"
She acted daft.

Glass in hand, still sprawled on her office couch like he owned the building—which he half did anyway—he pointed at her with a half full glass of wine.

"That look of 'you are better than me'? Need I remind you we are partners, Brooke? You bring your argument—solving skills to the table and I bring my charm into this"

"Oh God, if I hear about your charm one more time I might just impale you with my heel, Clint"

"Come on you know you love me"

She did.

He was the best partner she could have asked for. Charm and what not.

"Maybe I do, maybe I don't. The matter is still up for debate"

Their chuckles filtered through her office and maybe she had missed this.

Missed staying at work late without having to take drives back home to check up on Mia.

Missed these little sessions with Clint when work wasn't taking a turn for the worst.

"Yeah so how's Munchies doing?"

A sigh escaped her before she could gulp it down.

Normally she loved talking about her daughter non-stop. How Mia was obsessed with this cartoon for one minute and the next she hated it.

How Mia discovered her lipstick one minute and the next she had it smeared all over her face.

"Her father's return is that bad huh?"

Clint Eastwood didn't sugarcoat anything and that was one of the things she liked about the man.

His brutal honesty however had caught her off guard.

"What? Jules told Carter, of course Carter told me"

Of course. Even while still in Detroit, Carter was still playing the matchmaker.

And still had an unhealthy obsession of trying to fix Brooke up with Clint.

You two would make cute babies, Carter had said.

You two have my permission to fuck like bunnies while I'm gone, another joke Carter had dished out before he left.

"Of course"

"You hate sharing her"

"Is it that obvious?"

"You are allowed to feel like that because you've been with her since she was born. You do know you are also allowed to keep him at an arm's length from Mia right?"