Chapter 6

๑⁠˙⁠❥⁠˙BROOKE ˙⁠❥⁠˙⁠๑

WAKING UP TO A PENTHOUSE-LIKE APARTMENT with a majestic caprice center table and expensive chairs was one thing. Having a stinging migraine and having no recollections of what happened earlier was one thing but what was not okay?

What was not okay was the maid who had insisted she take some weird pills and some mouth drooling dinner before she left. What if it was poisoned?

The probably-poisoned-food she ignored but there was no denying something was up. She'd spent two minutes in the elevator and the two women standing next to her had eyed her far too longer than usual.

The staring didn't stop there. Five minutes into the lobby and all heads cocked to her.

"Ms Konstantinos"

"Y-yes", she answered turning around as she clutched her purse tighter to her stomach.

"Can I call a taxi for you?" The twenty something receptionist asked her and she felt like a sheep trying to move around in a maze of corn.

Where exactly was here?

How did I get here?

More importantly, what's up with all the staring for God's sake!

Pretending to be fine, she opened her mouth only for her voice to be caught in her throat.

The logo behind the receptionist's head smiled at her tauntingly with golden yellow lights.

CERVANTES HOTELS

Then everything came back second after second.

July drove her to some coffee shop. Then there was Clay Cervantes' angry face peering at her. Then...she cried. Then? Everything went blank.

Did Clay Cervantes-

"You don't have to worry about anything, ma'am. It's no bother really, I'd be happy to call you a taxi. If the boss learns-"

"Who brought me here?" She asked quickly and the receptionist blinked twice before she answered.

"The boss did. You don't remember anything, do you?"

She couldn't remember any of the important shit and it bugged her.

And the receptionist repeating the word boss twice wasn't helping. There were so many Cervantes. Which Cervantes brought her here?

Although she knew and she dreaded the truth. The truth that she might have made a fool of herself in front of a man who looked like he didn't tolerate nonsense. The truth that she might have said something she shouldn't have.

Is that all you got? C-come on. Choo. Choo. Faster train! Faster!

She cocked her head to the side, her sadistic raspy voice coming from the iPhone in the hands of the teenage girl two feet from her.

Nearing the girl and standing close behind her, she heard it and she'd recognize that voice from anywhere. It was the same voice that tried to nail Taylor Swift's soprano voice in the shower and failed at it.

"Hi, can I--can I see that for a sec?"

"This video's sick. The comments are so wild about this chick that rode Clay Cervantes"

Rode and Clay Cervantes in the same sentence nearly made her puke.

Her trembling hands holding the phone in place, she watched the video her mouth as well as her eyes agape.

"She looks dope though. She has guts, no woman would do that to Clay Cervantes and not land in the slammer the next day. Hey you have the same dress as hers and your hair is--crap! You are her"