Chapter 25

♥⁠╣CLAY╠⁠♥

MEN LIKE HIM never had vacations.

For once in his life he had relaxed into a situation that was slipping away from his hands because he was too blind and the repercussions followed.

He was never the type to waste time on things that didn't matter.

In his world, time was of the essence. Time made the world go around, you lose a minute of your time and everything you had worked hard for crumbled into a million tiny pieces.

A week and he had lost track of time. A week and he had paused his life for her.

Things were going south back home and quite frankly he hadn't given a fuck and he should have.

He wasn't the Clay Cervantes that tried too hard to impress a woman. God was he even trying to impress her?

Was trying to impress a woman taking care of her like she was an egg that would break if he was not near?

Was trying to impress a woman keeping her locked up in a room so that the chances of her running into her father were next to zero?

Because Henry Adams had a point when they last spoke.

She'll be hurt if she learns the truth.

For some reason he thought the woman didn't deserve such news while she was recuperating from injuries.

Last and certainly something even Ryder would find surprising.

Was trying to impress a woman spending the whole day watching unrealistic tv shows because she liked them and he didn't?

Who was he kidding anyway, he hadn't been watching the stupid tv shows since he made her popcorns.

No what he did was pretend to be watching the TV while he snuck glances at her when she wasn't watching.

Imagine that. Clay Cervantes watching a woman for a whole fucking day questioning just what was happening.

He didn't even like blondes and he would forever say that out loud till his dick and his brain got the memo.

His heart wasn't in the mix. No siree. He refused to bring his heart on the table.

His heart was with someone else...he thought.

Just because those brown eyes hypnotized him from day one it didn't mean she was special. Or it. Just because she reacted to his touch like they were meant to be didn't mean they were.

And her smile...when she really smiled it was like birds chirped around her.

God he was starting to sound like Ryder.

Birds, really? Fucking birds chirping?

He blamed it on that night. He should have never got close to her not while she was naked and certainly not while his dick was free because now every time she spoke, every time she said some mellow shit to him all he replayed was that night.

What could have been. Being alone with her. Listening to her terrible jokes while their legs tangled.

"Clay? Clay?"

He lifted his hand from his chin staring at the blonde with a puzzled look.

She was already out of her seat and was now seated next to him, her hand on his.

Her skin on his. That small smile gracing her lips.

He didn't even realize she had a dimple up until that night when she made a joke about Noah.