Chapter 19

♥⁠╣CLAY╠⁠♥

"WHEN I THOUGHT I'D DIED, your mother's voice pulled me out of the darkness"

And that was his father's way of saying, he'd lapsed into a coma and daydreamed about his mother.

Others raved about semantics like seeing Jesus when their lives flashed before their very eyes.

In Clay's version of death, he'd much preferred to see Jesus rather than Ryder in diapers chasing after him with that forbid Chucky doll he owned when they were kids.

His brother's doll had been enough to make him lapse out of whatever nightmare that had started the minute he took a bite out of those donuts.

Though the surprise was still there when he told the nurses to call for his brother first above all else. Funny, his brother of all people had pulled him from the so called darkness...with a Chucky doll might he add.

"Thallium poisoning?" Ryder scrubbed a hand over his face pacing around the room with anxiety.

"I know"

"You know? You were this close to having a gravestone on top of your casket and please I could see through all that crap the doctor said about food poisoning. You are the safest person I know which is why I don't understand—"

"Is Brooklyn here?"

He knew she was. She seemed like the sort to blame herself for everything and although it was her fault to begin with, he didn't want her to feel that way...much less feel anything for him after what he was going to do once he got released from the medicinal abode he was at.

Glancing at him with a ticking jaw, Ryder said,

"No. I told her to get some rest. She's been here the whole night and by the looks of it, she really seemed to think it was her fault"

"Because it was", Clay declared.

"What do you mean?"

"The poison. It was meant for her"

Sure he was on meds but his brain stillh worked. He'd put two in two together the moment the so called Marta's Milk split his insides.

"What? You think someone tried to poison Brooklyn at her own home? Look I'm sure there's some good explanation how thallium got in your system. The doctors have a few ideas how—"

"I'm sure", Clay interrupted looking at his brother dead in the eye.

Smiling and shaking his head in disbelief, Ryder returned the eye contact bitterly.

"You want to play hero. Hypothetically, even if someone was trying to murder her, why? First of all? Who?"

Alistair Konstantinos.

Ashton Drakkon.

Her stalker.

One of the three atleast tried to and that's what he'd try to find out.

"Ashton maybe in on it"

"Ashton? Now I see where this is going. This is about Hannah and your past. Clay, Hannah died and not every woman is Hannah, you can't protect them all"

"It's not about Hannah"

"It's never not about Hannah.  Calandria Konstantinos, your obsession with her started when you saved her from Henry Foster. I was willing to overlook that and hope that you'd found love but that's not it, is it?"

His feelings for Calandria might have been induced by the need to protect her but she was also a beautiful and generous woman. Who wouldn't fall for that?