Chapter 15

๑⁠˙⁠❥⁠˙BROOKE ˙⁠❥⁠˙⁠๑

HE WAS A RUNNER.

As she liked to call of them assholes that practically sprinted the minute she blabbered to them about her interests and her family name.

They had been fine the previous night only for her to wake up the next day and realize Clay Cervantes had ditched her in Seoul and booked the first flight to LA.

Putting her phone away, she all but gazed outside the window angry at herself that after two days Clay Cervantes was still in her mind.

She should have been happy, twenty hours later she was enjoying the sight of palm trees and the noise that was LA traffic.

"How was your trip, ma'am?"

Martin broke the spell peering at her through the front view mirror.

She hated Clay for what he did but his servants weren't to blame for his poor upbringing. Perhaps Martin looked like that fun uncle in birthday parties who wouldn't smack the pinatas let alone hurt a fly.

Reciprocating Martin's smile, she replied.

"Splendid"

Short for humiliating. Short for embarrassing. She'd revealed to Clay what she hadn't to most people and in a moment of weakness she'd thought he believed her.

That she wasn't crazy and that she wasn't making up stories for attention.

Looking back maybe the asshole was in his office taking a shot of his favorite brandy as he deemed her the most dramatic woman he'd ever met. She wouldn't put  it past Clay not to think of her like that.

"Glad to hear, ma'am. Sir sends his apologies you see, something came up"

The anger that had simmered down in her stomach threatened to stir.

"Did he get his contract?" She asked between gritted teeth trying all her best to watt down the rage.

Martin avoided her eyes and although it was sunny in LA-like it always was-she could almost swear he was sweating because of something else unrelated to heat.

"I'm sorry ma'am. He doesn't tell me—"

"He must have told you something when he instructed you to pick me up from the airport", she cut him off.

Pretending to wrestle with the steering wheel as he cut a corner down the lane, he gazed at her in the mirror and she returned the eye contact with determination.

"I might have overheard him say something when he spoke with his uncle"

"Which is?"

She didn't know why she was even asking but she found herself doing so.

"Mr Park De Yeon signed the contract", Martin uttered nervously and she huffed in her seat.

Unbelievable was what it was.

"He gets his contract and leaves me in Seoul like some discarded ragdoll he's done with and what? Expects me to accept his apologies? Your boss is a real douche bag, Martin. Capital D for douchebag"

"I apologize for him miss. I'll make sure to relay the message"

Came Martin's resigned slightly impressed voice.

She doubted whether Clay being called a douchebag would affect him at all. With all the pride Clay stacked around, mere words didn't seem to affect him at all.

"Make sure that you do. Emphasize more on the D part"

Martin laughed. A small laughter that made her smile amidst all the fiasco that'd happened in Korea.