23. Jade

I looked at my phone. 8:54 PM. I was panicking. I was about to go to Jade's birthday party and it was the first time I was going to meet Jade's friends and family, including her bandmates Perrie and Leigh-Anne.

I had only been dating Jade for a few weeks. We had taken it slow. We only ever cuddled once or twice and held hands a few times. I was nervous around her and was scared to make a move. We hadn't even had our first kiss yet.

"Shit." I cursed under my breath. I was running late but I was unsure that my outfit of choice would be enough to impress.

"Fuck it." I cursed before I grabbed a jacket and ran for the door.

My anxiety only heightened when I went into the party alone. I didn't know anyone else but Jade. My first thought was to grab a drink to calm my nerves and then look for the birthday girl. As I got a drink from the bar I noticed Leigh-Anne out the corner of my eye. I decided not to approach her. For all she knew I was just a randomer.

That was until I saw her walking towards me.

"Stay calm, stay calm, stay calm." I repeated to myself as she got closer.

"Hey Y/N, you made it."

"Wait, you know who I am?"

"Of course I do. Jade shows me photos of you two all the time."

"Oh."

"Come with me, I'll take you to her."

"Oh okay, thank you." I smiled. I found it hard to talk to new people and found myself internally screaming.

We pushed through lots of groups of people chatting and laughing and drinking until we reached Jade who was standing with her mum and Perrie.

"Y/N!!" Jade squealed in excitement before she gripped me tight. "I was beginning to think you weren't going to come."

"I wouldn't let you down like that." I smiled.

Norma, Perrie and Leigh smiled in awe as I gripped her tighter and pecked her on the cheek. Jade's smile grew wider with the simple gesture.

"Y/N this is my mam, Norma."

"Hey, it's really lovely to finally meet you." I held my hand out for her to shake it.

"Oh come here you." Norma laughed as she pulled me into a hug. I was relieved that she seemed to like me. I knew it was really important to Jade.

"You've already met Leigh, this is Pez."

"Hey." I beamed and both Leigh and Perrie hugged me.

"Wow, hugs all round." I chuckled.

"Well you're making Jade so happy so we like you already." Leigh smiled.

"She's just amazing." I replied honestly and Jade's cheeks started to blush.

"Awww." Perrie cooed.

We had a lovely conversation for a good twenty minutes before one of Jade's favourite but slow songs came on.

"Do you want to dance?" Jade beamed.

"I'd love to dance with the birthday girl." I took her hand and she led me to the dancefloor. Jade's arms wrapped themselves around my neck as my arms found her waist. We swayed to the song. I could see her eyes were full of joy.

"I'm so proud of you." I heard her say over the music. "It's such a big step for you and you smashed it."

"Thank you babe."

"And you managed to kiss me on the cheek." She laughed playfully.

"I wanted to kiss you on the lips but I didn't want to scare you off." I said with a sense of panic.

"Do you know how long I've waited for you to pluck up the courage to kiss me?" She smiled as she looked into my eyes.

That was the motivation and reassurance I needed to do it. I closed my eyes and a magnetic force pulled our lips together until we met in the middle. Her lips were softer than anything I had ever known and tasted of sweet alcohol. I had this overwhelming feeling of home. I felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be in her embrace, locked in her kiss like it was written in the stars. And for once in my life I felt happiness. Meeting Jade made me feel pure joy but the kiss was just confirmation that my whole future would be with this incredible woman. Jade was my sanctuary. Jade was my home.

The kiss came to a natural end and I saw Jade had tears down her cheeks.

"Babe, you're crying." I lifted my hand to her face to gently wipe away the tears. "I wasn't that much of a bad kisser was I?"

"Y/N! Trust you to be sarcastic at such a sensitive moment." She laughed. "They're happy tears. You make me happy."

And in that moment I knew that we both felt the same feeling and it set in stone something I had felt from my first date with Jade. She was my soulmate.